Newbie with questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris805

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Simi Valley ca. 93063
Hello everyone.
I just bought a Yamaha KT 100 and got a ton of extra parts, tires, wheels, barrings, sprockets, chains ext... The tires on it were worn out bad so I took off the fronts and found my extra tires have a diameter of 5 but my rims are 6. The past owner raced it on dirt and I want to race it on street.
My first question is..
1- what size slicks do u recommend for front and back?

2- how do I get the back wheels and tires off the axcel? Or do I not take the rim off?

3- my speedometer on the steering wheel won't come on, is it battery or electric and supposed to turn on when the kart is on? (There's a line going from it to the spark plug)
Thank u for any helpful answers.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I'll bet you have 5" rims, you just measured them wrong...

Last time I checked, a KT100 is an engine... which doesn't have wheels or tyres...
 

DirtyDamage

New member
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Location
Westminster Colorado
Yes a KT100 is an engine lol....I could go get tire sizes off my race kart. Be ready to spend some big money if you want to race. Costs me about $200per weekend at the track depending on what you're doing. The faster you go the shorter tires last. Is the KT100 methanol or just two stroke. If it was methanol fitted better hope some wasn't left in the carb...it'll be pretty corroded depending on how long it sat. Please post some pics of the kart, engine and whatever else you got with the deal. If you check out my friends list they're mostly racers...feel free to PM with anything you need....I'll get the notification immediately

PSA: GO KART RACING IS EXPENSIVE AND ADDICTING TERRIBLE COMBO

Also I doubt its a speedometer...if its imbedded in the steering wheel it's probably a mychron data system. I have one and can help you with it, if it is in fact a mychron....and yes it runs off battery. That wire running to the spark plug is to get the RPM....it reads how many times the spark plug fires and that effectively relates to RPM.

To take off the tires it should be three bolts(Probably 3 bolts) probably safety wired on, take off the wire by untwisting it or cutting whatever works...once the bolts and wire are off they "should" slide off...

Startup cost is going to be $350+(depending on what you have) to get out to the track....between gas, tires(most of that cost), track fee, sprockets, safety wire ect....

Also please tell me you didn't just jump into this with a blind eye...if you did you may have just wasted some money...most people I see at the track the first time hit 50mph(feels like 75) and get off the kart with wobbly legs and loaded underwear, never to be seen again.....I have nerves of steel after racing at 85mph+ on a regular basis and that's well interesting.

If you did jump in with a blind eye without trying a rental or trying one good luck...take it easy...go kart crashes at 85mph aren't fender benders...you get airborne...I've seen someone almost die and they were going 50mph and she effectively flew. These aren't toys either....I advise you don't ride it in the neighborhood...good way to get in trouble with the police and gets tons of tickets. Also a good way to get someone killed..

Sorry if this makes you worried just want to inform you what you got yourself into if you didn't know.
 

Chris805

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Simi Valley ca. 93063
Thank you for the feed back. I'm not jumping into it with a blind eye. Well not exactly. I raced quarter midgets starting from age 6. As I got older I raced stock cars. I haven't raced in about 12 years or so. Racing is my passion, this is just the first time I've had to really work on one to be honest. I've always been the driver, but I want to learn it and teach my boy.
As for the rear wheels, it seems like everything is stuck.
It's a 2 stroke.
 

DirtyDamage

New member
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Location
Westminster Colorado
Defenitly set up for dirt....

Funny you say something about a qtr midget I have a build thread about one but that'll be sold for a profit in a couple hours...

As for the tires get some PB blaster and try to get it into and along the hubs

For the tach should use normal battery's either AAA or AA

PS. I think that exhaust is illegal for on road track racing but I'm not positive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top