Newbie with probably dumb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul in WV

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I just bought a used Davon Mini 90 to work on with my grandkids while they visit for the next 4 weeks. Good with old cars and tractors, but never owned a go cart. The cart came with no instructions, so my first question is where I can find an owner's manual. I did download the service manual. Here's the bigger issue/question: The engine turns over nicely, but will not start. The neutral light never turns on. It's new, as is the key switch and the stop switch. Also, the forward reverse shift does not fully engage in either direction. Maybe that only happens if the engine is running(?). Right now we're working on cosmetics, but if I can't get it running, it'll be a disappointment for the boys. So, my next question is whether anyone can recommend a go cart mechanic in the Charles Town West Virginia area -- just in case. Thanks
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
There is a kart mechanic by the name of Paul from WV.... He is pretty good. What he don't know, he gets from his buddies off of DIYGK...... :thumbsup::lolgoku:
:welcome2: post a pic of that creature! We like pics!!! :thumbsup:
It sounds to me that your neutral safety switch is preventing you from starting the engine. Try this real quick..... IF you have a 5 wire cdi box, pull the middle lead out. It's gonna be a black wire with a white stripe or vice versa. It's always the middle one.... Anyway... That wire is the safety wire, all safety switches connection to it. If its out of the plug, safety switches are rendered useless.
Ok now you pulled that wire. Put the rear end of kart on stands,blocks, whatever, as long as tires are off the ground. Now try cranking it to see if you're getting spark. If not, it's the coil,rectifier or stator.......
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
You can test a coil. You can test a rectifier, if you know what the outputs should be from factory. On the Chinese models, I just check to make sure that there's "continuity"..... If you know the coil is good and the cdi and rectifier are good, that only leaves the stator. It can be tested,again, if you know the given values.... Post a pic of what you got and let us know what you find out.... :popcorn:
 

Paul in WV

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
You could have knocked me over with a feather. I jacked it up, turned the key and it started after just a few seconds. Sounds sweet, but it stalls out when you give it gas. I can handle that. The grand kids are real excited. Thanks again.

Paul
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
So glad I could be of help! Post a pic man..... We like smiling faces on karts too..... :thumbsup:
Have fun,and enjoy the time you have with them. Tonight, pull apart the carb, and give it a cleanin.... She will purr for you tomorrow. For now, let them :auto::auto::auto:.......
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
The thing is. ....IIRC....this is a brand new engine. ... (shouldn't need a carb clean......right????? IDK
- Maybe I'm confusing posts again......time for supper....m
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top