Newbie with predator 212 motor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymike

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Just got me a nice little kart, With a brand new Predator 212....now its time for some more power... thinking of adding a kit from http://www.ombwarehouse.com/Predator-Go-Kart-Kit-Air-Filter-Jets-Springs-and-More1.html

Now they said i need a billet fly wheel.... thats no problem... hows the installation one that? and how much power am i going to expect...going to keep adding more parts but starting with that now

opinions welcomed...Thanks:wai:
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Welcome to the forum Mike

Ok, first, the stock conrod will give out long before the flywheel does, I'd be more worried about that...

Second, if you leave the stock valve springs in, you won't need either as the valves will start to bounce at around 5000rpm...

Third, that won't even happen if the governor is left intact...

Get the kit, install the intake & exhaust for now & see how it goes, you should gain around 1-2hp which doesn't sound like much but, you'll notice the difference...
 

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Messages
2,673
Reaction score
98
Location
U.S.A.
They also have a nonadjustable flywheel that means its already timed?

The non adjustable flywheel is a good one. My ARC brand came with 8 degrees advance in it already. You can get different keys that are timing keys. Go to the ARC website and you can see the keys.
 

mikeymike

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Yea, but from what I heard when I put that kit and remove the governor, the fly wheel will go (from what it says on the website)
 

Axx3d

New member
Messages
458
Reaction score
2
Location
MN
You can install the kit Fabroman mentioned, just dont remove the gov. The gov will keep you at a safe rpms and with with added 1 or 2 hp youll get more oomph up to that point.

The con rod,billet flywheel and valve springs are needed after the gov delete..
 

JMINDY

Member
Messages
254
Reaction score
5
Location
Indianapolis, IN
As Fabroman said, the connecting rod will most likely break before the flywheel does. I would recommend changing both the connecting rod and flywheel if you remove the governor.

I just finished these same mods to my Predator engine this weekend. To me, probably the hardest part was removing the governor. Had some issues with installing the connecting rod, as I broke one of the bolts on the rod cap, but I was able to fix it with new bolts. Installed 22lbs valve springs and the billet flywheel (ARC with 8º advance).

It was a simple job with the right tools & materials. Besides a socket set, you'll need a small torque wrench (1/2˝ Dr. will not fit inside the engine case), ring compressor, 2-3 JAw Puller (helps on flywheel removal, harder but can be done without), some rope (trick to filling the cylinders when changing out the valve springs) ,feeler gauge to set valve lash and timing on flywheel, and some assembly lube. Impact wrench helps in getting the nut off of the flywheel easier.

This site: http://www.affordablegokarts.com/
has some good walkthrough tutorials on Predator engine mods.

And there is a sticky thread on Predator mods in the engine category that has some of the torque specs that the above site fails mention (like head bolts and flywheel nut).

I would keep shopping around... maybe just do the air intake and exhaust. Or if you want to remove the governor, then get a billet connecting rod, flywheel, and stiffer valve springs.
 

mikeymike

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
That's exactly what I'm going to do, I jumped on the forum for that reason :) I appreciate all your help guys will keep you guys updated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top