Newbie with a (gasp!) axle question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieGreene508

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Sorry for the lack of introduction, I've been reading this site for a while but never posted. My name is Robbie and I have 3 kids, all boys, who are 13, 9, and 22 months. All are serious gear heads; anything with wheels and a motor and they can't resist.

My 13 year old (also autistic) has decided to pass his go kart down to my 9 year old because his friend got a Razor "drift trike" and is now obsessed with them. He has decided he wants to build (aka; watch me build him one) a gas motorized one instead of his friends "wimpy" electric Razor with caster wheels. Here in lies the issue. We are trying to figure out a rear axle setup instead of buying one (he didn't use the go kart much, so I can't justify spending the money on a $100+ new rear axle setup. I have a few bmx bikes kicking around we are going to use for the front wheel/brakes/steering. Maybe even the downtube. I tacked up a rear end similar to the rear end of a go kart frame. I have an 80cc bicycle motor kit, new and complete, so I will likely just start out with that and go to 4 stroke if he actually uses it. Better yet, I may just spend some quality time and build a whole new one for him or my other son (or even a "drift go kart") if this quick "hack job" gets used at all. All that's left to continue & finish this thing is an axle set up. I have one major question and despite searching on google and forums, I haven't seen a definitive answer...

Can I get away with a "dead axle" (one powered wheel) setup for the trike to actually "drift". **KEEP IN MIND, WHEELS WILL HAVE PVC SLEEVES** Seeing as how many drift trikes are downhill only and NOT motorized, I don't see why not? I'd prefer a live axle as I'm sure most do/would, but the money is an issue on this, and unless I found a dirt cheap/used setup (unlikely), I'd prefer to just do this as cheap as possible with a simple dead axle.

I figure with all the go kart owners out there with a dead axle setup, SURELY some of you have tried to "drift" or slide out? Does anyone see any MAJOR drawbacks I don't? Benefits? Will it affect "drifting" one way or the other? Or maybe the traction to get up and going will take a major hit?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. I look forward to getting to know the people here and value your input.
 

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
While I don't have direct experience with drifting dead axle carts, I do drift cars and I can tell you that it will not be stable in both directions. If the unpowered wheel is on the inside of the corner it won't "push out"even with pvc sleeves. It may be one of those things you can get used to and control but it will definitely handle differently depending on which way you're turning.
 

Jfive

New member
Messages
645
Reaction score
1
Location
Great falls Montana
I would worry more about the cost of rims and tires then a solid axle vs dead. That 80cc is started by dropping the clutch too which is kinda hard on a trike I would think. They have good power though. I scared the crap out of myself on a mountain bike with one. It would do 40mph with 26in Kevlar tires. Way to fast on a mountain bike lol.
 

RobbieGreene508

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice guys. Tangiblestar: my impression is that a regular (non motorized) trike is drifted using your body weight, shifting side to side. I figured motorized or not; the same concept would apply, and the motor would just allow you to build enough speed to use and shift your weight to initiate the drift; but you very well may be correct,and thanks; I bet it still works but it probably would have different handling characteristics...

To jfive; I wasn't even THINKING about the clutch start issue; wow. I've been too obsessed with this whole dead vs. live crap. VERY good point, lol, thank you.


Another question; anyone have any other axle options, or a good idea or link to a DIY live axle write up? Is there a cheap way of making a "reliable" live axle using round pipe or tube (no lathe, only mig welder and sawzall/grinder)? Thanks again
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
2-3 pillow blocks, 2 wheels, a sprocket that isnt too big for the tires, a piece of keyed shafting, brakes and thats all about you'll need for a live axle(summed up of course)...

Ill be more work I think to set up stub axles and the brakes to work for them then just keep it simple...
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I'm afraid I must agree with Tangiblestar, for best results, a live axle is the better choice...

IIWM, go all out; drift trikes are so popular ATM that, even if your boys lose interest, you shouldn't have any trouble recouping your costs...
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
BMI karts and Go power sports both sell a live axle "Kit"
Probably the cheapest way to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top