Newbie with a Carter 2336

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike96sc2

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
So far so good. I like the cart. I have been reading and lurking quite a bit but I am coming up at a loss.

I am in dire need of a new front 6 inch split rim (part number G251).

I can't seem to find a suitable replacement anywhere. I am hoping I am just too green and overlooking the obvious.

All help is appreciated and thank you!
 

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
18
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
What size tires and spindles are used. If it uses a 145/70-6 then the link below will lead you to a new set from gopowersports.
https://www.gopowersports.com/145-70-6-knobby-tire-wheel-assembly-2-pack-special/
These tires should, according to gopowersports, come already mounted and ready to bolt on. I would suggest replacing both tires so that you gave a matching set. These tires are not split rim but should work perfectly fine as a replacement. I used this type rim to replace a set of split rims that I temporarily had on my manco eliminator.
 

mike96sc2

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I am running the 145/70-6.

On my cart, the hub has 4 bolt holes which I am told have a weird bolt pattern that is unique to Carter. I am wondering aloud. Do I need to replace the hub and get two new front wheels, or is there a wheel out there people have had used that works, but just needs to have the bolt pattern modified so it will bolt up.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
yeah I remember carter having odd bolthole patterns from previous threads (mostly the clover hub issues..)

Anyways, measure the bhp ..
maybe these will fit:
https://www.bmikarts.com/6-Split-Rim-2-1316-Bolt-Pattern_p_1570.html

To my knowledge there are no carter rims available new any longer
the #1 source for old stock parts has been this:
http://rdswebs.net/reliablegokarts.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17
but they don't list those rims either ...
(maybe they know a better replacement?? you'd have to ask)

In any case it's a 5/8" spindle, so any 5/8" ID hub will fit and so would 5/8" front wheels with integrated bearings.

you might need to add spacers in order to realign the wheel properly if you swap hubs or wheels, but that's easy to do ;)

'sid
 

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Messages
866
Reaction score
18
Location
Weeki Wachee Fl.
There should be a bolt in the center of the hub that remains stationary when the hub is spun. Pulling this bolt off should allow the hub to slide off. If not get a small block of wood, place it on the inside of the hub and hit the block with a hammer. That should definitely get it off. Some pics of the hub would be great.
 

Texan

Senor Member
Messages
461
Reaction score
12
Location
Deep In The Heart of Texas
I am running the 145/70-6.

On my cart, the hub has 4 bolt holes which I am told have a weird bolt pattern that is unique to Carter. I am wondering aloud. Do I need to replace the hub and get two new front wheels, or is there a wheel out there people have had used that works, but just needs to have the bolt pattern modified so it will bolt up.

The bolt pattern is 3-1/8". Is your rim totally trashed? I repaired mine, because like you, I could not find new ones with that bolt pattern and wanted to use the original Carter hubs.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]

mike96sc2

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
The bolt pattern is 3-1/8". Is your rim totally trashed? I repaired mine, because like you, I could not find new ones with that bolt pattern and wanted to use the original Carter hubs.

Thanks for the info on the bolt pattern. I was going to try and measure it myself!

The rim is completely gone when I bought the kart. I assumed that they wouldn't be as impossible to find as they are.

I believe in a stroke of luck I found a guy on Craiglist with a Carter frame and wheels he wants to unload. It's just a matter of how much pain I go through to get the wheel.

My option B I think is to get a different 6 inch split rim and weld in some adapter plate or drill out the holes to get it where I want it. I am going to visit this go-cart on Sunday so wish me luck. I hope I can get the whole thing cheap - then pass back to the community the extra wheels I don't need.
 

mike96sc2

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Big win today folks! I was able to find a not Carter Go Kart with the same hubs and all the wheels were still attached.

I picked up all 4 wheels as one was in perfect shape and the pthrr 3 have some surface rust or dings but are far from out of commission.

I'm not able to post in the buy sell area for some reason but if anyone is in need, I can take some pictures and share what I have. The community has been good to me and if I can give back I will. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top