Newbie from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmactom

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Connecticut
Hey all I just picked up a Manco Scorpion with only a few hours on it for my 3 sons, and I am sure I will be lurking here often with questions. One thing I have not seen is a DIY for slowing a kart down, in other words adjusting the governor down. Has anyone ever done this? I see plenty of posts about removing the governor.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
It's never done but, quite often asked about, at which point we suggest against it.

Restricting the engine has a follow-on affect on the drive system; if you're using a centrifugal clutch (CC) it'll burn out because it never has a chance to fully engage &, therefore, is constantly slipping.

If you're using a torque converter (TC), again, the lack of RPM means it never reaches full potential which can cause premature belt wear but, it is the better option of the two. However, option three is the way to go...

If you wish to slow down a kart, we suggest you do so through the gearing...

Welcome to the forum
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Slowing it down is easy.... just get a bigger (more teeth) axle sprocket. If you have 52 tooth sprocket, drop to a 60 or 64 tooth, as an example. Welcome to DIYGK. Its the only resource you will need to keep your kart alive and well. If the info you need is not here, its probably not anywhere.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top