New toy to work on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So today after waiting about 2 weeks to pick it up, got a 2000 Yamaha Blaster for $500. The kid who was selling it was moving out and had lost interest in it a while ago. So far it needs a new 520 chain, and possibly 2 sprockets, since the chain did pop off on him and was warn out. Probably needs the carb cleaned out, gas tank drained as well as the oil tank. Probably will leave it stock for the time being, but if it needs new sprockets, I may go down a tooth on the transmission and up to a 43 tooth on the axle. Stock gearing is 14/40 I believe. I've driven quads before, just never a 2 stroke or one with a manual transmission. It does not have reverse, but it's light enough to turn around by hand.

It is missing the rear rack, the kid cut it off then bent in the tabs for it. But I can make a new one, since I'll be using this for hunting season and ice fishing. Not ideal, but it'll be a fun toy. Eventually I may get a different expansion chamber for better low to mid range, but I may not depending how it is for me. This will probably be my weekend and rainy day project. Can't wait to get it up and running.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
2 smokes are a ton of fun. Hopefully this can give me a chance to tinker a bit. Might not start working on it until tomorrow since the fiance wants to spend time together today. Least I can work on it tomorrow until she wakes up to go to work. Apparently they used Yamaha lube or whatever the name is. Hope it doesn't matter too much if its Yamaha or another 2 stroke oil. Oil tank might only be 1 or 2 quarts to 3 gallons or so of gas.

vpd66

Reaction score
I had one of those Blasters. I don't think you will like it for hunting and ice fishing. They have a power band much like a 2 stroke dirt bike real peaky. They go pretty good for 200cc but they don't weigh much. Trying to use it has work atv will not be good.They are geared all wrong for that. Those are play machines not work machines. If the chain came off, make sure it didn't crack the chain case. This happens quite a bit on atv's and dirt bikes.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
That looks like it will be fun. Manual transmissions and two strokes are always twice as fun as a boring utility 4 stroke four wheeler IMO. If you use it for ice fishing, put tubes in the tires and then put screws in through the inside of the tire for some bite on the ice.

I'm not sure about if you have to use yamalube, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. We have our Yamaha stand up jet skis and we always use the PWC yamalube for them, but they are 700cc twin cylinder that make 80 hp. The downside is its expensive. I bet you would be fine using a little cheaper oil on that little 200cc engine.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Is the nylon lock but supposed to be on the swing arm in that direction? Got the oil drained. Going to get the transmission sprocket off and closer inspect it to see if it needs replacing. Looking at the transmission cover, it's a 6 speed not a 5 speed like I thought. Guess I should look closer when I read specs on these things. Have a stripped screw that needs replacing. It holds down the cover for the air filter box under the seat. Previous owner must have tried taking it off and stripped the head of it.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Transmission sprocket. Looks warn and some of the teeth look a bit bent to the left a bit. Now it's my understanding that the stock gearing is 14/40. I counted 13 on this sprocket and 40 on the rear sprocket. Chain cover is intact, but there was a missing bolt on it, so I'm guessing it's been off before.

Might just make a new rack to hang the brake light back on. I checked the tires and the DOT numbers state that they are from 2005. Thankfully not dry rotted to crap.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Looks like my stupid camera on my phone does not like taking pics I'm portrait mode.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I work in a restaurant, and we've been having issues with counterfeit bills. There was a couple who came in the other day and their total was $69 and change. The man puts a $100 bill in the folder. I take it back to get the change, and remembers that the manager wants us to not take any bill over a $50, since there has been a counterfeit issue. Come back to tell the couple this, and the man goes "Sure, I understand". He takes back the bill he just gave me and pulls out a credit card. His wife then says "Oh I think I have some $25 bills" and proceeds to hand me 3 of them

That was a joke I've been wanting to use forever :D

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I work in a restaurant, and we've been having issues with counterfeit bills. There was a couple who came in the other day and their total was $69 and change. The man puts a $100 bill in the folder. I take it back to get the change, and remembers that the manager wants us to not take any bill over a $50, since there has been a counterfeit issue. Come back to tell the couple this, and the man goes "Sure, I understand". He takes back the bill he just gave me and pulls out a credit card. His wife then says "Oh I think I have some $25 bills" and proceeds to hand me 3 of them

That was a joke I've been wanting to use forever :D
Same issue in town except these bills were for movies and said made for movies on them. Don't think the people were caught passing them off. I have 7 legit 2 dollar bills that I've gotten over the years, people never seen them think they are takes. Nope just in limited production and horded.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Then they were Canadian $2 bills... Since about '96, the Toonie(as its called) has replaced it as a coin...

Now in limited supply and hoarded...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So I know it's a matter of preference, which in this case I have a lack thereof for obvious reasons, but what kind of 2 stroke oil can I use? Does that part really matter or not so much, long as it's 2 stroke oil? I'd like to at least attempt to start it this weekend to see if I need to rebuild the carb.

Plans so far:

Get it at least running
Replace front and rear sprockets
New chain
Remount brake light
New air filter
Repaint frame (either original color or different. Has bare metal spots with light surface rust showing)

Possible future plans:

Convert to at least hydraulic rear disc
Convert front to disc, possibly hydraulic
LED head and brake lights
Speedometer/Tachometer

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Yamalube will be whay I go with ultimately. Just wanted to know if say oil for a chain saw could suffice for a moment or if that would not be a good idea.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Ordered parts today from Moroprimo, $120 for the drive, axle sprockets, and new chain. Not sure if we got a master link, but have to wait several days for it all to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.