new toy/project

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
:wai: OK, i just bought this kart hoping to use it in the kart race club I'mtrying to get going. Its a covered live axle, not a one wheel wonder. The frame is SOLIDwith just a little surface rust. Needs a seat and throttle cable. The clutch needs a bronze bushing (completely gone) but I have another new clutch at work, same chain too.... Gonna count teeth and what not, and clean it up a bit tomorrow. The motor is a gx190 and starts on first pull. When throttled up to max though, the motor does that small annoying rev/stall/rev thing.... carb right? So what do you guys think? Wheels are ugly but tires are good slicks....
O yeah, it was $100...... and an hour drive , each way..... and wife said "H€££ yeah!" when I" asked" if i could buy it. She is just now,after 5 years, understanding the value in my projects. As in cash/fun value....
 

Attachments

  • CAM00549.jpg
    CAM00549.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CAM00551.jpg
    CAM00551.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
  • CAM00552.jpg
    CAM00552.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
  • CAM00553.jpg
    CAM00553.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16
  • CAM00556.jpg
    CAM00556.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 12

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
Sweet!

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right way to fix rev/stall. I am sure someone else will chime in if it's not, but.....

I had the same issue at "max" rpms. I turned that black screw on the carb to make it idle high (just below engaging). I think somehow that kept the air from cutting out too sharply when the governor is doing its thing.... Again, it worked for me, but I'm sure there is a real way to fix it.
 

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
Diaphragm bad maybe? or just sticky? Try cleaning that.. might fix the high RPM funny business.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
So, it doesn't qualify for your race club then..?

Is it rev/stall/rev or is the rpm fluctuating. If it's fluctuating, it could be a governor issue...
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
So, it doesn't qualify for your race club then..?

Is it rev/stall/rev or is the rpm fluctuating. If it's fluctuating, it could be a governor issue...

No, it doesn't qualify for the 1wheel peel club, but i could not pass it up. Might have to have 2 classes, 1wheel peel,all stock, and a live axle, limited open class,"run what ya brung" kinda thing limited to basic mods. No billet this billet that.
Gonna clean carb today and replace clutch. Maybe I can take a no seat maiden voyage tonight......
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
It may not do that annoying stall when it's under load. I remember an issue like that and it was the placement of the governor spring. I had to use a different hole in the governor arm.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
It may not do that annoying stall when it's under load. I remember an issue like that and it was the placement of the governor spring. I had to use a different hole in the governor arm.
Not a bad idea.... I was revving it under no load at all. (Chain off) But another thing crossed my mind. The guy said he took the motor off a power washer. That really shouldn't matter though because they (industrial implements)are all designed to operate at 3600/3800 rpm, right? So it cant be that power washer motors are set up differentl, right? It will idle all day...... it idles through a half gallon of gas while i was at work today.... cranked it before i left this morning and wife called wanting to know why its just sittin there disturbing her sleep..... hehehe.... :lolgoku:
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Just found this thread but i was going to say governor as well. ........and obviously strengthening the spring will fix that. But first- you ought to be able to figure out the linkage responsible. If preventing it's movement solves the problem then well- that solves the problem-(or at least shows the solution)....
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
A covered live axle as in its thru a tube with no bearings.
Doesnt that cause a lot of friction and heat ?

It has bearings at each end of the tube..... like what goes on the front wheels but for 1" live axle.
Poboy and Qtband, as I looked at it in the day light, y'all were both right, kinda. I noticed one end of the little spring was not connected under the tank allowing throttle to flop...... There is still something wrong with the linkages though cause the only way i can get it to idle below clutch engagement is by pulling back on linkage. Could be the spring not connected...... fix it tomorrow. Me n the twi little ones are gonna go burn up some kart rubber out on the streets..... (private street, no car traffic) :auto: :thumbsup:
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
You may need to add a return spring to your linkage.

No,its not that. I can pull throttle all the way back and it still idles high. Its definitely in the linkage going to governor. I also noticed a dog-leg type bendthat should not be..... II'm gonna snap some pics tonight when I disassemble it all.
In a way,I'm kinda glad this kart is a live axle because I have already almost completely burned through the new drive tire on the pink 2seater.... in a week ..... Playin on a kart must be like being addicted to a drug or something. ..... my wife chased me down last night about 11:30 to tell me "its time to put it away"....... :toetap05::toetap05::eek:
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Well, got the new toy up n running,sorta.... see that little red wire?thats the throttle for now. Gotta see how original stuff was set up. Its a yellow jacket and now i cant remember the manufacturer. I think its Avenger mfg....
The seat is from my sandrail. Looks big,but i like the sitting position with it on the kart. Its comfortable. ...... And a long time ago , i bought a go kart for the header that it had. Well, I dug out that header and put it on the Honda as thats what it was made for anyway. (Previously on a BnS)
It pulls and accelerates hard, but top end is only near like 20 mph.
 

Attachments

  • CAM00557.jpg
    CAM00557.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CAM00558.jpg
    CAM00558.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CAM00559.jpg
    CAM00559.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top