New Torque a verter clutch won't engage. NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaBoiBreadstix77

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello, I recently got into fixing up go karts and i bought this off road yerf dog. Once I got it I replaced the engine (Predator 212), new seat, new chain, and new torque a verter because the old one was all rusty. when i ran the engine without a chain the torque a veter engaged perfectly but once i slapped a chain on it only hits 14mph max rpm's and i can clearly see the clutch ins't engaging and i have no idea what to do. any help?
 

BigWes

Member
Messages
829
Reaction score
32
Location
Alabama
Make sure your throttle stop screw is backed all the way out first, sounds like a throttle problem at this point without further information. It must be getting full throttle to work properly.

Do you know where the throttle stop screw is?

Wes
 

YaBoiBreadstix77

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Are you talking about he throttle screw that you put the throttle cable into? Or the screw that hits the throttle cable once it's and it's at it's max?
 

BigWes

Member
Messages
829
Reaction score
32
Location
Alabama
I'm talking about the screw that limits the travel of the throttle arm assembly.

I'm talking about this one

IMG_20190630_172715034.jpg

Back it out as shown

So you get full throttle., Hove someone press the gas pedal while you are watching to make sure you get full travel and it don't bind up...switched off of course. Troubleshoot from there...this ain't rocket science.

Wes
 
Last edited by a moderator:

anickode

Active member
Messages
2,296
Reaction score
76
Location
S.E. Michigan
What's your gear ratio? (Tav sprocket and axle sprocket tooth counts)

If it's hitting 14mph it's engaging. Sounds like it's working too hard and is unable to ramp up the rpms.
 

BigWes

Member
Messages
829
Reaction score
32
Location
Alabama
I agree anickode, but I've noticed you guys are bad about assuming most of the folks you are trying to help here understand the basics. That's simply not the case. The first thing you guys wanna do is jump into gears and tire sizes, and I get that...but do you ever, ever ask yourself if these folks have an engine that's even set up right to run properly to start with? Because if the thing can't make 2000 rpms it won't make any speed that's for sure. No matter if the gears are right or not...I mean you guys go straight past the first and obvious steps and go right to the last steps...he said he put a new engine on it...all these things come with that screw turned in.

Anyway... I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying if there was a troubleshooting flow chart...most of you guys start somewhere in the middle or in the end verses the beginning.

Maybe I should draw one up...and let you all criticize it...and when you're done let you go back and re-read your own posts...not saying I'm always right or anything...just saying though...if you're gonna start...start at the beginning
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Also, are you sure youhave the right belt for the center to center distance between the driver and driven of the TC. You have to have the correct size for it to work properly. You also can't just slap any old automotive belt on, it has to be specific for TC's and the center distances

Look at this chart for belts needed
https://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm
 

YaBoiBreadstix77

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks Wes, that seemed to be the exact issue, of course once i got it up to speed i realize the motorsport place gave me the wrong number chain (420 instead of 40) but besides that thanks man, you helped a lot.
 

BigWes

Member
Messages
829
Reaction score
32
Location
Alabama
Thanks Wes, that seemed to be the exact issue, of course once i got it up to speed i realize the motorsport place gave me the wrong number chain (420 instead of 40) but besides that thanks man, you helped a lot.

Yes sir,

You are most welcome!

I am glad I could help!

Do me a favor and share your enjoyment of karting with someone else...maybe someone who can't afford their own...you know...just let someone ride it for a few or take someone for a ride if it's a two seater. Or get a kid motivated.

Enjoy the ride!!!
 

420Racer

Rip It Up
Messages
112
Reaction score
2
Location
Connecticut
I agree anickode, but I've noticed you guys are bad about assuming most of the folks you are trying to help here understand the basics. That's simply not the case. The first thing you guys wanna do is jump into gears and tire sizes, and I get that...but do you ever, ever ask yourself if these folks have an engine that's even set up right to run properly to start with? Because if the thing can't make 2000 rpms it won't make any speed that's for sure. No matter if the gears are right or not...I mean you guys go straight past the first and obvious steps and go right to the last steps...he said he put a new engine on it...all these things come with that screw turned in.

Anyway... I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying if there was a troubleshooting flow chart...most of you guys start somewhere in the middle or in the end verses the beginning.

Maybe I should draw one up...and let you all criticize it...and when you're done let you go back and re-read your own posts...not saying I'm always right or anything...just saying though...if you're gonna start...start at the beginning

Right Wes you know I'm newer on here but does this come up every week??:roflol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top