New to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowandslow

Lowandslow
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana, USA
Great site! I'm from Indiana, 3 kids and a great wife. I wanting to build a go kart that will be street legal and look similar to a 1930 Ford Model A. Looking to put the engine in the front and custom build a fiberglass body, although I have not ruled out using sheet metal just yet. I believe I will enjoy the build probably more than driving it! If someone could please direct me to jackshaft threads, I would appreciate it. Trying to figure out/ research whether to us one or two. I'm at the very beginning of planning it out. It's been my "dream" thing to build. Had the dream and now it's time to put it in motion! Thanks in advance to all who well be helping and leading me in future!!!
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Welcome to the forum.

Looking to put the engine in the front and custom build a fiberglass body, although I have not ruled out using sheet metal just yet.

Tell us a bit about your background; do you have experience with either?

If someone could please direct me to jackshaft threads, I would appreciate it.

To be honest, there are so many it would be quicker for you to search for yourself...

Trying to figure out/ research whether to us one or two.

Two things to remember:
1. The more moving parts, the more things can go wrong; if all the shafts & sprockets are not perfectly aligned, you'll be throwing chains left & right...
2. More parts means more money.
 

Lowandslow

Lowandslow
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana, USA
Thanks for responding! I have very little experience with fiberglass and sheet metal, however I'm not one to shy away from a project. I decided to start out this summer building a quadricycle, to get a feel for fabricating something very close to ago kart. As soon as I started I knew I had caught the "fever" and decided I would pursue my dream project that I have had for years. I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm excited for the journey!!
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
That right there is the spirit of this forum; in simple terms "I have no idea what I'm doing but I wanna learn how..." :lolgoku: Good for you. I'm sure there will be someone here to help you with whatever you do...
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Hey, try the Edit button on the bottom of your post ;)

And wood is more expensive than fiberglass, and it's much heavier;
is not waterresistant by itself and for a carbody not the best choice!
Although that's doable of course, it's not the easiest approach nor the cheapest ;).

'sid
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
maybe in Germany but in florida woods cheaper than fiberglass and for waterresistant i got 3 of them that still have there wood body's for over 4years now.i always used 1/4 plywood for the body its not that heavy. i guess its what wood you use and how well you bild it nothing special about the wood i use. idk
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
plywood... not exactly wood, right? ;)

And it's still about five times as heavy as the same strength same size sheet in fiberglass;
and still it will rot (slower with a good treatment) is a pain to bend without steam
and with steam a pain to bend in more than one direction, steam and plywood are not exactly friends though, so you have to dry it afterwards...
So the only thing left is making your own panels, glueing & shaping a dozen sheets of wood into a mold (just as you would with fiberglass) but taking care of grain direction and of course apply pressure while hardening the glue...
Yes you can do that; no doubt!
I did it to make a chair and a skateboard once (no not at the same time ;))
But for complex shapes, it's still way easier and cheaper to use fiberglass.

Ah well, yes.. boxy plywood shapes with very little curving, okay, that might be another story.
But a Ford model A... those fenders? in plywood?
doors, no problem;
hood, maybe just a little bit of a problem;
fenders.. :eek:

'sid
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top