New to me, 1985 rm250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Just picked up an 85 RM250, for $115. Shes been sitting a while, and has no spark. but cylinder looks mint and shes got decent compression, shifts through all gears, has good tires, and overall looks like a decent bike. Pretty much stole her at $115.

So far i cleaned the carb and airfilter, cleaned stator and flywheel, and gave her a bit of oil since she sat for a good 8 years. Still need to drain the tank, change the oil, and troubleshoot the no spark problem.

The_Machine

Reaction score
Just a month ago i bought one of these from a neighbor for 25 bucks. sold it for 300 10 days later

The_Machine

Reaction score
had play in rear swingarm bearing. nice rims and tires. cosmetically yours is in much greater condition. the plastics and seat were **** from sitting outside. it's a 2 stroke. had spark and good compression. coulda had it running in a day but I have engines and dirtbike already so I just sold it.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
**** dude..nice bike. You'll love it. Reminds me of my IT490....I just have a thing for old bikes...

mrfreyguy

Buggy Almost Done
Reaction score
Thats gonna fly when it runs. How'd you get it for $125?

You should be arrested cause thats a steal :roflol: (ill be here all night folks)

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
**** dude..nice bike. You'll love it. Reminds me of my IT490....I just have a thing for old bikes...

I already love it haha, its a pretty decent looking bike, real comfy, and im sure she'll have plenty of power. Just gotta find specs to test the coil and stator...
Thats gonna fly when it runs. How'd you get it for $125?

Last week i went for a 7 hour long trail ride on my little 80, and on the way back we stopped in at this kids house to say hi. We got talkin and he said something about having an rm250 that didnt run, i ask him if he wanted to sell it and he said "yea sure, $100". So i went yesterday to check it out, looked at it for a minute and payed him haha, then i had to pay my friends dad $15 to pick it up.

EDIT: i believe i need a stator, one of the windings has no resistance. I may be able to snag one from my old rm125 parts rig i sold last year, just gotta see if the guy still got it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So i got a stator cdi and coil+ a whole rm125 engine for $30. Shes got spark now, but i cant get a good kick in to start her, the kicker is reallly worn and sloppy (just the lever, not the shaft) an my boot just slips off. I'll have to try rollstarting sometime.

I also think its low on compression, i dont have a working tester but its easier to kick over than any running 125 two stroke i've ever kicked...so it might be time for a top end.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Sometimes the kickstart can fool you. I know my IT200 kicked very easily and they were known for it, but it had excellent compression.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Sometimes the kickstart can fool you. I know my IT200 kicked very easily and they were known for it, but it had excellent compression.

yea, im thinking it isnt compression related, it feels like it has enough to run, but wont even kick over trying to roll start it. It dawned on me, that my ignition timing may be messed up using the stator and CDI from an rm125, so i modified the stator to work with the 250 cdi, and it actually popped a few times for me. I cant kick it over anymore, the bottom of my foot is dead, gonna have to wait for a tow later so i can try to pop start it again.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I'm stumped...it wont kick over for me. I have compression (should be plenty to run), i have great spark, and i have fuel...the stator im using is from a 125, but looks identicle to the stock one, so i dont think its throwing off the timing, but i supposed it could be? anyone else have any ideas?

CKC & Dad

Reaction score
I'm no mechanic and I don't mean this to sound smart, but you say you have fuel spark and compression, But do you have air? Could be bad carb. Not trying to solve it, because I don't know how, but thought I would give you something to think about.

PS Great looking deal, even if you buy a motor for it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I'm no mechanic and I don't mean this to sound smart, but you say you have fuel spark and compression, But do you have air? Could be bad carb. Not trying to solve it, because I don't know how, but thought I would give you something to think about.

PS Great looking deal, even if you buy a motor for it.

Carb is mint, airfilter is clean. Thanks though. I've tried all throttle positions while attempting to start it, choke, no choke, poured pre-mix into intake and plug hole.

Its a nice bike, but it was beat. luckily it looks like the sprockets, chain, tires, and a few other things were replaced.

newrider3

Reaction score
Sounds like a timing issue to me. I was having a hell of a time with my TRX250r motor, it ended up being a sheared flywheel key.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Really? Guess ill check flywheel key then. Sounds like timing to me also but i didnt think sheering a dirtbike flywheel key was probable.

redsox985

Reaction score
I overlooked that it was a 2 stroke. I haven't tried it in anything but a 4 stroke. Specifically, an XR100.

Status
Not open for further replies.