New to Karts...good with cars, excited but feels like a huge learning curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikbrik

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We just bought a former 'racing' kart for my son (turning 10), cadet sized 2 stroke kart. We don't really intend to race it competitively, as he's the oldest of 4 and I really have no time or budget to actually support a real racing habit.

The goal is to give this thing slightly more ground clearance so he can take it through the grass from time to time, when the driveway gets boring. It's an older Italkart cadet with the 60cc IAME Parilla 2 stroke engine. It runs well, he put about 5 minutes on it (in the rain) and couldn't wipe off the grin.

We took about 40 lbs of lead weight off, dropped the rear axle down as low as it'll go, which raised the kart about 1/4". We'll be moving front spindle spacers to get maybe 3/8" up there, too. There's room for about 1.5" more tire height, which would get us another .75" in the air. I feel like that would be plenty for "around the yard fun". It's got 3 bolt hubs in the rear and I don't know (yet) what size spindle up front...5" wheels...is this all "standard" stuff?

I'd like mods to be somewhat reversible because he actually is one of the quickest kids at the local rental kart tracks (not that this is a great indicator, but his lines and braking, etc are good.)

I'd like recommendations on maybe an 11.5", 12", even up to 12.5" tall treaded tire which would possibly fit the existing 5" wheels OR if anyone can point me to a good wheel/tire combo that won't break the bank, that'd be good, too.

At the end of the day, I feel like there could be a 4 cycle or electric conversion in our future but I'd like to get some opinions on that and let him finish out the summer on the 2 stroke TAG engine.

Also, if anyone feels we should be out racing and not modifying for yard fun, especially if you're doing it on a small budget, I'm open to that feedback too.

Simultaneously, we'll be modifying a 12v power wheels for additional 6v "nitrous" button, according to my 4 y.o. 😂

Thanks for welcoming us to the community.
Mike in PA

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Welcome. The learning curve shouldn't be too hard if you are mechanical. One of the points of go karts is simplicity. Why need a transmission when you can have a single clutch? Why need a steering rack when an arm and two linkages works? Etc. Make sure to put a nice big blue button that your 4 year old can mash when she wants to get up to 8.8 mph :auto:

Status
Not open for further replies.