New to go karts questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourdiesel408

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Hi every body I'm aj n I am very new to go karts but very experienced to mechanics and working with my. hands I purchased a small go kart with a 208cc ironton engine with the governor remove brands new for 300 bucks, runs great tops at 35 had it next my buddy kart to test it got the open header dual exhaust set up u see on the predators and a big specter air filter. I think its a stock carb, has 72 tooth sprocket and centrifugal clutch which I would like to learn more about how the clutch works. I've heard torque converters are better but they are pretty expensive? I really would like to do some performance mods to my kart but I don't know what I can do. I know I can put new valve springs on but I don't know what kind fits my motor or If that would make a big difference. Please I would like to learn a lot more about this kart i will post pictures as soon as I can, I pretty much told you everything about it that I can think of off the top of my head
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
No... Well yes. We just like punctuation and capital letters. A post that long being one long run on sentence is hard to comprehend. I posted that to be nice, A few of us will really give you a hard time thats all.
Welcome to the forum.
 

Sourdiesel408

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
13 teeth sprocket on clutch, very fast to the top speed but then nothing after 35 Mph just loud dual straight pipe.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Welcome to the forum. Stronger valve springs = more rpms= a greatly increased chance of failure of the factory parts....(usually. connecting rods first).

Generally, just removing the governor keeps revs in the fairly safe zone....(remember, that governor was put there for longevity of the stock parts.....which have a slightly higher tolerance of rpms than the governor allowed....but you can't go a whole lot further.)

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Hi everybody, I'm AJ and I'm m very new to go karts, but very experienced to mechanics and working with my hands .

I purchased a small go kart with a 208cc Ironton engine with the governor removed brand new for 300 bucks.Runs great , tops out at 35 . Had it next my buddy's kart to test it.

It's got the open header dual exhaust set up you see on the predators and a big specter air filter. I think its a stock carb, has 72 tooth sprocket, and centrifugal clutch.I would like to learn more about how it works. I've heard torque converters are better, but they aren't they pretty expensive?

I really would like to do some performance mods to my kart , but I don't know what I can do. I know I can put new valve springs on it, but I don't know what kind fits my motor, or If that would make a big difference.

Please ,I would like to learn a lot more about this kart. I will post pictures as soon as I can, I pretty much told you everything about it that I can think of off the top of my head.

Soooo....can you see the difference? You get a C- at best....
 

Sourdiesel408

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Lol I'll get it down. Eventually.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

What kind of valve springs would u suggest for a ironton 208cc? Also it's OK if the motor goes it's cheap and easy to fix. As long it don't blow up behind my head all I'm saying lol, I would like longetivity out of my engine but Good performance.

I'm going to start with the plug reading and carb jetting tomorrow, since my governor is off and already dual straight pipe. I'm sure I need more fuel. I would really like to make this balls to the wall motor if it goes I'll just get a predator lol or another 208cc. If anything I'm considering is dangerous let me know my friends
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
590
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Lol I'll get it down. Eventually.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

What kind of valve springs would u suggest for a ironton 208cc? Also it's OK if the motor goes it's cheap and easy to fix. As long it don't blow up behind my head all I'm saying lol, I would like longetivity out of my engine but Good performance.

I'm going to start with the plug reading and carb jetting tomorrow, since my governor is off and already dual straight pipe. I'm sure I need more fuel. I would really like to make this balls to the wall motor if it goes I'll just get a predator lol or another 208cc. If anything I'm considering is dangerous let me know my friends

Do not put stronger valve springs in if you have not already replaced the rod with a billet one, otherwise the chance of it blowing up behind your head are greatly increased.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Yeah....that's the thing ...there are no absolutes, but basically, like Landuse and I have both said....if you upgrade your springs, the chance of that stock rod coming through the side of your block increases dramatically. A billet one puts it back around the stock percentage with stock springs.

Now....as far as getting hurt....the percentages are actually pretty low.....but so is playing Russian roulette with only one bullet in the chamber. The chance of the rod going outside the case is much much much more greater than it actually getting to you , but it's possible.

Now, one last thing to consider, to try to put it in perspective: imagine a three year old throwing a baseball at you as hard as they can.....now....a major league baseball pitcher. The difference is completely the speed at which the balls are travelling....as are the internal parts when you increase rpms!
 

Sourdiesel408

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Yeah....that's the thing ...there are no absolutes, but basically, like Landuse and I have both said....if you upgrade your springs, the chance of that stock rod coming through the side of your block increases dramatically. A billet one puts it back around the stock percentage with stock springs.

Now....as far as getting hurt....the percentages are actually pretty low.....but so is playing Russian roulette with only one bullet in the chamber. The chance of the rod going outside the case is much much much more greater than it actually getting to you , but it's possible.

Now, one last thing to consider, to try to put it in perspective: imagine a three year old throwing a baseball at you as hard as they can.....now....a major league baseball pitcher. The difference is completely the speed at which the balls are travelling....as are the internal parts when you increase rpms!

Lol so true though

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

So I would like to put the new billet rod and aluminum flywheel on the beast, but where do I go about finding one that fits the ironton 208cc? Assuming that the predator takes different parts that isn't compatible with mine since it's smaller.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

My governor is off. How long do u guys think the engine will last like this?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
590
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Lol so true though

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

So I would like to put the new billet rod and aluminum flywheel on the beast, but where do I go about finding one that fits the ironton 208cc? Assuming that the predator takes different parts that isn't compatible with mine since it's smaller.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

My governor is off. How long do u guys think the engine will last like this?

How long is a piece of string? It is nearly impossible to say how long it will last. It will more than likely have a shorter life than a stock engine though
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
I guess I'll find out lol my luck not long

I would not even worry about it. I dont. Just remove ALL the Governor, Internals as well. The internal Gov. gear is plastic and will NOT last long at all. But if done correctly they last just fine.
 

FreeRunner15

=======
Messages
660
Reaction score
9
Location
================
Hi every body I'm aj n I am very new to go karts but very experienced to mechanics and working with my. hands I purchased a small go kart with a 208cc ironton engine with the governor remove brands new for 300 bucks, runs great tops at 35 had it next my buddy kart to test it got the open header dual exhaust set up u see on the predators and a big specter air filter. I think its a stock carb, has 72 tooth sprocket and centrifugal clutch which I would like to learn more about how the clutch works. I've heard torque converters are better but they are pretty expensive? I really would like to do some performance mods to my kart but I don't know what I can do. I know I can put new valve springs on but I don't know what kind fits my motor or If that would make a big difference. Please I would like to learn a lot more about this kart i will post pictures as soon as I can, I pretty much told you everything about it that I can think of off the top of my head

You are experience to mechanics but the first you want to mod is the valve springs? That is done AFTER the other internals. unless you just dont want your valves to open. (assuming you plan high performance mods)

Valve springs reduce valve float due to higher-than-normal rpms. but upgrade the connecting rods first if you plan to need valve springs since they are the weakest part of the internal engine. If you NEED performance springs, then you NEED performance rods if they haven't already broken by the time you realized you need them..

Just like turbo-charging a naturally-aspirated car. You can only run so much extra boost (in this case power) before stock internals start rattling around loosely in the engine.
 

Sourdiesel408

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
My motor is already rattling

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I hear it coming from the valve cover I'm assuming play in the rockers.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ---------- and now it's ticking

I wanted to put new valve springs on cause I could hear them float at full throttle some times
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top