New to go-carting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Hello I am new to go karting and this forum. I have lots of experience in small engines and repairing, etc. I LOVE pocket bikes and I love to go fast. I am wanting to get a decent kart for next summer. I am taking fab next semester so hopefully I can weld by then. I want to get a decent cart. Preferably a shifter but thats proabably out of the price range. I want to know what is the best option. I have a decent 10hp briggs ans stratton horizontal engine. I have seen some of briggs's engines. Should I make or buy a kart. My budget by the time summer comes around will proably be $1000 or $1500 if I am lucky. What should I do. I also have a dad who has been a mechanic for 25+ years and who is also an engineer. So really the only limit is price. Thanks for any help.

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Welcome!
Is what I tend to do is try to find a low cost go Kart that would meet your needs.
Then all you have to do is just adjust the mounting plate to fit your new engine.
Whether you wanted to be a rigid Go Kart on the streets or a buggy type cart with suspension. Regardless with a 10 hp engine more than likely you will need a torque converter.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Well I would like to start racing karts. I got lots of tools and experience on small engines. I'm 5 foot 10. And probably going to be growing a bit more(hopefully). So Would you recommend getting a roller or just getting a kart that's ready to race?

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
I bow out when it comes to suggestions on racing karts. We will leave this answered to the pros - as we have a few here.
I mainly deal in mini bikes, yard karts, and street karts.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Yeh i'm saving some money over the winter to get a decent kart. Saw a nice Tony cart for $1000 Candadian.

OzFab

Reaction score
When it comes to racing, there are lots of rules & regs to consider, therefore, building a frame would be difficult; start with a rolling chassis & go from there...

The other thing to consider is, is there a class that allows 10hp engines on a stock frame? That would take some investigating on your part...

Status
Not open for further replies.