New to DIYGOKARTS does anyone make tracked vehicles here?

Sasquatchy

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
I am happy to have found you before I blew anything up. I want to build some electric mini tanks w paintball guns in the cannon. There are not many people doing this and I am hoping it is not because it is a terrible idea. If this is not feasible, we may build a half track out of an old golf cart and put a turret on top. Let me know if there is a tracked vehicle discussion
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,210
Reaction score
4,191
I think we used to see, in general, paintball tanks in the wee early 2000s but they didn’t usually have actual tracks. Are you talking about actual tracked vehicles or just the semblance of one?

This is probably required reading:

 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,210
Reaction score
4,191
Why build when you can buy? Minimum 5 pc purchase 🤑. Go in for a group buy?



Image 793.jpeg
 

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
705
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
The hydro motors from a zero turn mower would seem ideal for running tracks. They can spin in place, so why should you not have that capability? Find an old zero turn and get a track setup meant for a 4x4 truck.
 

Sasquatchy

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Wow thanks for all the info. I thought my thread was stopped after the first response. I have made some progress w two 350 watt motors and controller from an electric wheelchair w big casters on the back. The next step is to add fly wheels and the homemade tracks. I suspect I will have them fall off w each turn. I will probably end up getting the sprockets and tracks from a miniskidsteer and build the chassis around them

Do we have any types of diy vehicles that run 2 motors w a joy stick like the electric wheel chairs? Does anyone know a way to run a 24 volt wheelchair speed controller at 36 volts? Every way I try to wire it, it 3 batteries in series, it just blinks the wrench icon at me.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,210
Reaction score
4,191
Check their site. They actually make a lot of them. My neighbor has a set on a custom wheelchair.

I would prefer full tracks like a tank and with tank steering. Can two or more of those be joined together to make a longer set, I wonder?

I have made some progress w two 350 watt motors and controller from an uelectric wheelchair

Pics or it didn’t happen ;). As to your other question, it sort of sounds like an internal component designed to prevent overvoltage and to protect the product.

:useless::horse:
 

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
705
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
36 volts is in golf cart territory. I dont know what those controllers cost. Is the wheelchair controller a sealed unit with circuit boards?
 

Sasquatchy

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Wow I saw the reply about the sabertooth speed controller on my email, but cannot find it on this thread. I think I am doomed to buy the sprockets and tracks from a mini skid steer. The tracked rc lawnmower ones are too small. I just bought a used electric zero turn mower to see how it is put together.

This is the prototype w the wheelchair motors and controller.

the inner tube track idea in the picture was quickly scrapped. They kept coming off, but it turned better.

spark wizard asked, and There is a board in the speed controller but I dont know what I would do to adjust it to allow me to run the motors at 36 volts
 

Attachments

  • 20260715_205205.jpg
    20260715_205205.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20260715_205223.jpg
    20260715_205223.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,999
Reaction score
8,508
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
You have nothing to guide the tracks. Doomed to fail. Look to earth moving tracked equipment for inspiration. Tanks are also good for ideas.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,210
Reaction score
4,191
Be fun to manufacture your own tracks from steel. They could be nothing more than flat segments with steel tubing for the track connecting pins. Fashion up a welding jig, drop in the parts. Cheap flux welder… make a hundred or so track segments.

EDIT: to prevent them from sliding off the roadwheels and the idler and the driver, you need either a central rib and a double wheel setup or outer track guides as seen in the below photo.

Or quit trying to reinvent the wheel and make it your life’s mission to acquire a 6x6 ATV with the track option…

IMG_6620.jpeg
And just build a plywood tank body on top…
 
Top