• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

New place, more space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anickode

Reaction score
Well, we finally did it... Ditching the small suburban ranch and bought a place a little further out in the country.

Little bit bigger, albeit MUCH older house. When I say older, I mean this house has stood to see the civil war, the great depression, prohibition, 2 world wars, and everything since. It's completely renovated though, with updated pretty much everything. The original 3 foot thick stone foundation is solid as the granite rocks it's built from, and the hand hewn 12"x12" white oak timbers are still strong and true, though some modern supports have been added in a few places to make sure it stays that way under the live-load demands of modern living.

2 good sized barns, both need a little work, but in real good shape overall, and just under two acres.

The big red Barn is 100% concrete and steel. 12" thick block walls, smooth floated concrete floor, steel beam and girder with poured concrete over steel decking in the loft. Rolled steel arches for the roof. 50 amp electric service from the house.

The silver/white barn is laminated wood arches with steel skin. Poured concrete floor. A little rot damage at the sill plates from a couple leaks down low in the skin. Fairly straightforward repairs. It also has its own electric service drop.

The yard is a mud pit right now from installation of both a new well and new septic system. The weather got a jump on us, so grass will have to wait till spring.

I guess there's some interesting history that goes along with the house, having to do with a certain former Teamsters boss, the mob, and the FBI. Probably just a local tall tale, but the house did used to have a 200 acre horse ranch accompanying it, which has been mentioned in various statements over the years.

The pic uploader doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Edit:. Pics are working now

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_161212.jpg
    IMG_20181117_161212.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20181117_160752.jpg
    IMG_20181117_160752.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20181116_210955.jpg
    IMG_20181116_210955.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181117_160755.jpg
    IMG_20181117_160755.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 5

kevbo22

Reaction score
Very nice pad you got there!! I can say I am a little jealous. How much land is all of it on?

anickode

Reaction score
It's a little under 2 acres. We were hoping for more like 5, with a chunk of it wooded, but it got to be pretty slim pickings when we factored in everything else we wanted. Lot size was the easiest thing to give up.

Still, 2 acres is a nice bit of space, and realistically, about all I'm interested in mowing.

anickode

Reaction score
Well... We are all moved in... Now the REAL work starts.

Priority list:

1. Get electric working in the red barn. Planning to run 100a service out there.
2. New door on the red barn - I can fit a 100" wide, 7' high roll-up in the existing opening. This will suffice while I decide whether or not to remove part of the loft in the front.
3. Heat for the red barn... Probably wood stove. Insurance company doesn't have in issue with it since the construction is entirely non-combustible.
4. Build shelving and organize the barn.
5. Build cool stuff.

anickode

Reaction score
heck yes! we're closer than ever to building our shop/garage and I was thinking of a stove for that too

You know, I'd almost rather be starting from scratch. My barns are awesome space, but you can only make so many changes to an existing structure...

My hope is (depending on local codes) to build a stove based on the Seton stove with a cast refractory firebox and a forced air heat exchanger, and equip it with an atomizing oil burner. I can get more than enough oil from work to keep my shop toasty warm all winter, plus roughly 2 full cords a year of kiln dried Oak in the form of pallets. Nails in the ash isn't ideal, but for the sake of free heat, I'll deal with it.

I'm figuring on building a masonry chimney... The barn is already concrete block, and I really dislike the look of a long run of exposed class A, so I plan on 12x12 inside dimension CMU chimney block with a clay liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.