New manco project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
About a week ago I just picked up a manco american express for $150. The frames in good shape, but it needed new tires. I flipped the spindles to get some more clearence and I am mounting the 5.5 techumseh powersport engine. This is my first go kart project. I have two questions, how do I hook up the kill switch and where can I find an air filter that fits this engine. Also, how fast do you think it will go with a 12 tooth clutch, 72 tooth sprocket, the 5.5 hp engine and 12 inch tall tires? I would soon like to give it more power, but for now this will have to do. Thanks
 

vgk

New member
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas, Nevada
welcome, im new too
acording to the go kart speed calculator, you will go 21.5 mph if it is still governed. look at k and n for air filters
 

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Thanks, i looked at k and n air filters, butthe one that looks like it will bolt on to my engine is $300, which is more than the kart itself. It's ment for motorcycles though so I'm not sure what to do.
 

slideways

New member
Messages
575
Reaction score
6
The filter wont do much for you without other mods. Just go to a lawnmower shop with your model number and get the paper cartridge style. The kill switch has a tab on the coil underneath the shroud. Put a wire connector on it and wire it to your steering column or somewhere easy to reach. Then get a simple on-off switch and put the wire on one side and the other side to a frame ground with a ring terminal. When you flip the switch it will cut spark and shut off the motor.
 

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
The kart already has the kill switch on it, i'm just trying to figure out where to wire it to the engine. My friend told me to put the wire from the shutoff under a screw with a wire attached on the engine. Is this correct? Also, how do I cut chain with bolt cutters, I was told to get an offset link but I'm not sure where to put it when I cut it.
 

slideways

New member
Messages
575
Reaction score
6
You have to take off the shroud to get to the coil which will have a wire on it you need to run to the switch you already have.

You dont break a chain with bolt cutters unless you intend to destroy it and throw it out. Not a bad idea to get a new one though if the kart is old and used up. I have a nice chain breaker tool for my #40 chains but for the smaller #35's i take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and put the chain lightly in a vise. Then cut one of the pins in the center and use a punch to gently pop it out to break the chain. After that you use a regular masterlink to connect it.
 

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
I'm rebuilding it so it did not come with anything like a clutch or a chain, just a motor and the frame. Could i buy a dremel at any hardware store like TruValue or Lowes?
 

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Yeah I know, my old kart had one but it would be to hard to mount one on the new one. Isn' t princess auto in Canada? I'm in new England so I don't think I can go there. Northern tool is good though that's where I got my clutch from. Can anyone tell me some simple inexpensive mods I can do to get me some extra speed? I have a backyard track and would like to go about 35 on it cuz that's how fast my friend kart goes, I just wanna make it even.
 

Sail8870

Manco
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
I think the guy before me modded the engine cuz the speed calculator said i would go around 22 mph, i speed tested it with a car running next to me, i was going 32 mph, i'm not sure what he did but i asked him if he took the governor off and he said, "Don't worry it won't blow up" and nothing else. How do i know if he took the governor off?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Welcome to the forum.

Before posting, please check the date of the thread in the top left corner; we're not very fond of digging up old threads & this particular thread is 3 years old.

Starting your own thread will yeild more attention :thumbsup:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top