New live axel need wheel options

WillMatrix

Reaction score
I ordered a new axel from bmi and I’m headed in the right direction (I think). My problem is I have no idea how the tire and wheel thing works.

I will like a 5 inch wheel with a 10 inch tire so I can buy the sleeves from the same website as my axel. Please show me some wheel and tire options PLZ. I purchased this axel

Attachments

• 6FA3D1FB-5412-4B30-92CE-63303CAA8A40.png
    6FA3D1FB-5412-4B30-92CE-63303CAA8A40.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DEB6B18C-C9F3-4CCC-A662-8BB0FD102DDE.png
    DEB6B18C-C9F3-4CCC-A662-8BB0FD102DDE.png
    773.6 KB · Views: 6

anderkart

Reaction score
The BMI info doesn't specify what rims fit the hubs in your kit, so I'd suggest you call or email BMI and have them recommend what rims, tires and sleeves you'll be needing.

I'd also recommend you install a (2-piece) split-sprocket on the axle, instead of a one-piece sprocket; because it'll be a lot easier to change a split-sprocket later on if you ever decide you need a different gear ratio.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
When I called I asked what rim do I need ? they said the bolt pattern is a 2.50 bolt pattern 3 bolt and it has to have a 1 inch bore

anderkart

Reaction score
When I called I asked what rim do I need ? they said the bolt pattern is a 2.50 bolt pattern 3 bolt and it has to have a 1 inch bore
Ok then If you want to run 10" tall tires, It looks like you could order:

2 of these rims (with the option of 5.00"-width & 3.00"-backspacing):-> https://www.bmikarts.com/5-Valken-Polished-Aluminum-Wheel_p_32023.html Although be sure to ask them if the center hole bore size is compatible with your wheel hubs before ordering...

And 2 of these tires:-> https://www.bmikarts.com/5-Unilli-Racing-Slick-10-x-450-5-_p_5056.html

And 2 of these (white or heavy duty blue) sleeves in 5" width:-> https://www.bmikarts.com/Drift-Trike-Sleeves_c_682.html

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Ok then If you want to run 10" tall tires, It looks like you could order:

2 of these rims (with the option of 5.00"-width & 3.00"-backspacing):-> https://www.bmikarts.com/5-Valken-Polished-Aluminum-Wheel_p_32023.html Although be sure to ask them if the center hole bore size is compatible with your wheel hubs before ordering...

And 2 of these tires:-> https://www.bmikarts.com/5-Unilli-Racing-Slick-10-x-450-5-_p_5056.html

And 2 of these (white or heavy duty blue) sleeves in 5" width:-> https://www.bmikarts.com/Drift-Trike-Sleeves_c_682.html
Thank you soooo much man. I finally got all the pieces for the axel and wheel setup. This is really my first time welding a frame and building from floor plans and I’m excited

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You've done this before, haven't you anderkart? Very complete.
WillM, full agreement here with anderkart on the split sprocket. Even though your kit comes with a sprocket, just use it for wall art. Get the quite inexpensive split sprocket right from the start, you'll be glad you did. Never been on a drift trike, don't know if their 54-tooth is the best choice or not, others here will know.
Also gives you the option to get a 6-hole sprocket guard to mount with the same 6 bolts to the hub. I'll attach a pic of my 4-piece aluminum guard as example.

Attachments

• 100_0169.JPG
    100_0169.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 100_0171.JPG
    100_0171.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

WillMatrix

Reaction score
You've done this before, haven't you anderkart? Very complete.
WillM, full agreement here with anderkart on the split sprocket. Even though your kit comes with a sprocket, just use it for wall art. Get the quite inexpensive split sprocket right from the start, you'll be glad you did. Never been on a drift trike, don't know if their 54-tooth is the best choice or not, others here will know.
Also gives you the option to get a 6-hole sprocket guard to mount with the same 6 bolts to the hub. I'll attach a pic of my 4-piece aluminum guard as example.
I have never been on a drift trike either. I will upload some pictures of the project

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Just a little update! I ordered some wheels and because they didn’t have one piece wheels I ordered split, BIGGEST mistake of MY LIFE. I can’t mount it for nothing even using harbor freight mini tire changer was a waste. Ultimately I placed another order and they now have the one piece in stock and discount tire will mount them for me when they get here. Smh this makes me want to stop this whole hobby. Please give me some words of encouragement. I’m new to Alabama and using this hobby as a way to deal with my depression

jmaack

Reaction score
Are you near any northern tool shops? The one near me here in alabama has had some items I needed in stock.

jmaack

Reaction score
I’m in Tuscaloosa I think there is one near me. What did they have in stock that you needed?
I've mainly gotten clutch chains master links etc. I have seen wheels but haven't had need to check on sizes. Mainly thing that break on weekend and are able to replace quickly.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Trying to understand why you couldn't mount a tire on a split rim, much less needed to try a mini tire changer.
Have used a dozen split rims with no problems besides having straight valve stems on a couple of innertubes once instead of "L" stems.
You inflate the tube to a very squishy soft pressure, put it in the tire, bolt the 2 halves of the rim together thru the tire. Inflate the tube a little at a time while pulling on the valve stem to keep it from getting pinched. Voila.
Did you try to do it without an innertube? Split rims all call for tubes. Have seen a seal for between the rim halves, but no idea how they work.
Besides any of that, could you have been trying to seat the bead of a tubeless tire on the split rim? Not sure, but thinking that tubeless tires have a different bead than tires designed for tubes.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Trying to understand why you couldn't mount a tire on a split rim, much less needed to try a mini tire changer.
Have used a dozen split rims with no problems besides having straight valve stems on a couple of innertubes once instead of "L" stems.
You inflate the tube to a very squishy soft pressure, put it in the tire, bolt the 2 halves of the rim together thru the tire. Inflate the tube a little at a time while pulling on the valve stem to keep it from getting pinched. Voila.
Did you try to do it without an innertube? Split rims all call for tubes. Have seen a seal for between the rim halves, but no idea how they work.
Besides any of that, could you have been trying to seat the bead of a tubeless tire on the split rim? Not sure, but thinking that tubeless tires have a different bead than tires designed for tubes.
Hold up help me out a little. Can we zoom call or something? I been trying to mount it like it was a one piece rim. I have L shaped stems, any opinion of where I should drill the stem hole on the rim?

my problem is the half of the rim never sits flush on the bead of the tire to begin with. MAybe I’m expecting it to look different

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Every split rim I've ever had came with the stem hole already there in 1 of the 2 rim halves. If you have 2 halves with no stem hole in either one of them, you've got a mismatched pair of rim halves.
Even so, if you get your innertube stuffed into the tire with the "L" stem sticking out thru the hole that should be there (don't put tube in backwards so the "L" doesn't point outward), then you just assemble the way I described.
The edge of the tube type tire may not look like it's going to seat on the "bead" of the rim, but if you inflate it all the way to 30 psi and bounce it hard off the floor a couple of times, if it "seats" or at least it's holding pressure, that's probably all correct.
Remember that it's the tube that has to hold pressure, not the tire. The tire basically functions to just keep the tube from becoming a big river raft.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Attaching some early pics in design phase, trying to show what a "L" stem sticking out of a 6" split rim looks like............
Click the pics after they're selected to blow them up for closer look, put cursor on the tire for the blowup.

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_141946.jpg
    IMG_20200114_141946.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200114_142349.jpg
    IMG_20200114_142349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200114_142953.jpg
    IMG_20200114_142953.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200114_144024.jpg
    IMG_20200114_144024.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Attaching some early pics in design phase, trying to show what a "L" stem sticking out of a 6" split rim looks like............
Click the pics after they're selected to blow them up for closer look, put cursor on the tire for the blowup.
You have been a awesome help man!!! I finally got the rims and tires together and they are seated excellent. I can’t believe how much I over thought the split rim thing smh. I watched so many videos and couldn’t believe the whole time I should of just sat down and tried the simple option first. Now I’m going to put everything together and figure out how to keep the tire in the pvc sleeve because there is some space. Btw it looks like you are building something crazy!! Good luck on your project

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Wish I could help with the PVC sleeves thing to finish that out, but have zero experience with them. Haven't ever even seen those in person.
Trust the search bar on youtube. It'll find the good, the bad, and some really fuggly. Trust your own judgement to find what makes sense.