"New Kart" and new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatehabitat24

Reaction score
Hello everyone My name is Jarad and I just recently was given a go kart that needs some work. I would love to fix it up for my little brother so he can enjoy something I never had as a kid. It is a red fox lxt with a tecumseh 5 hp OHH50 motor. I don't have much mechanical experience but I possess all the tools necessary and I feel like I am resourceful enough to complete the project.

The kart has minimal rust on the frame which is awesome being from NY I was expecting a rust bucket. So it seems I have something to work with.

I have a good budget so that's not a major issue.

Here are the problems I have found so far:

-The clutch assembly is completely taken apart

-Motor spits oil into the air filter when it actually runs

-Tires all seem to have broken seals the rims look fine but tires are completely flat and off the rims.

So the questions I guess I need answered are ...

Should I buy a replacement motor, if yes where and what should I buy? Something preferably, mostly assembled that could bolt on with slight modifications if any.

What tires and where should I purchase them from?

If I obtain all the parts I need I may also require some installation assistance : ) I can take pictures of everything. Thank you for any help, and any tips anything at this point would be appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/o6Vtl

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well....I have the same kart and engine:

#1: Post a pic of the valve cover...(top of engine)! from behind the kart!

#2: Post pics of the tires....(not being seated doesn't automatically make them bad) brand new tires are often hard to seat....)

See..you don't know WHAT you are you are looking at.....does it make any sense we should go off YOUR descriptions, or PICTURES?

Skatehabitat24

Reaction score
Well....I have the same kart and engine:

#1: Post a pic of the valve cover...(top of engine)! from behind the kart!

#2: Post pics of the tires....(not being seated doesn't automatically make them bad) brand new tires are often hard to seat....)

See..you don't know WHAT you are you are looking at.....does it make any sense we should go off YOUR descriptions, or PICTURES?

Were you able to view the pictures in the album from the link i posted I might be having trouble uploading the pics.

http://i67.tinypic.com/25ppxqt.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/k1v0xy.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/16kzw5e.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/3004l5h.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/69jpcw.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/15h0m0h.jpg

Attachments

• 25ppxqt.jpg
    25ppxqt.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 1
  • k1v0xy.jpg
    k1v0xy.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 16kzw5e.jpg
    16kzw5e.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 3004l5h.jpg
    3004l5h.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 69jpcw.jpg
    69jpcw.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 15h0m0h.jpg
    15h0m0h.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Were you able to view the pictures in the album from the link i posted?

Yeah...but actually...it just hacked me off after the first 20 minutes of waiting for them to load....so...I just left.

See how much quicker and easier it is to view pics THIS way?????.....and if you need more detail....all you have to do is click on the pic....I gotta click JUST TO SEE YOURS!

Attachments

• 14518071419680.jpg
    14518071419680.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 8

Skatehabitat24

Reaction score
Yeah...but actually...it just hacked me off after the first 20 minutes of waiting for them to load....so...I just left.

See how much quicker and easier it is to view pics THIS way?????.....and if you need more detail....all you have to do is click on the pic....I gotta click JUST TO SEE YOURS!

I edited my above post to try to include the pictures directly like the way you have shown. Hopefully they show up.

ChromeRhino

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you recently had to tilt the kart at a pretty extreme angle the the engine oil could have made its way into areas its not supposed to be, causing oil to spit out. Its very likely the tires are just fine. You just have to seat the tire and air them up. To make it easier I suggest getting a small ratchet strap and putt it around the center of the circumference of the tire (center of the tread all the way around) and tighten it down with the ratchet. This will squeeze the tire at its center and force the tire against the rim so it will hold enough air to build pressure. Once the pressure gets high enough it will seat with the rin and you can do a hearing check or soapy water test to check for leaks.

See guys, I'm getting better. No mention of lighter fluid and a torch or nuthin' ;)

I would try to work with what you have and save your money until you know whether you need new parts or not... and then if you don't you can donate it to MY go kart fundraising project at: imjustkidding/brokechromerhino.haha.com

Hope that helped. Let us know if you need more info.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
What ^ he said! Those tires look almost brand new, and you'll have the same issues with brand new ones! I would make sure the beads are clean and soaped and the rim bead seat areas are smooth and free of rust.

The Noose

Reaction score
If those are all the parts you have for your clutch, you are missing some stuff. You need the weight assembly and the garter springs that go on the inside of the drive unit. You shouldn't have any trouble finding that stuff online.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
My tires roll off the bead's pretty often since they are really dry rotted and lose a ton of air lol.

I have a serious air compressor, so it just pops them right back on, but ChromeRhino's method will work for you if you have a smaller compressor. Once you get them on, just keep air in them and they should be fine. I put a small amount of slime, like less than 1/4 can in my tires and it has made them hold air much much longer now.

To get your clutch back on, you need a 5/16 bolt, from any hardware store is fine. First make sure the smaller pulley and the sliding thing inside it work freely.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
A couple of things about the ratchet strap...one...you want to stop as soon as the tire starts talking air..and loosen it up...then completely seat the bead.

You also want the buckle part pointed away from you...should the strap fail under pressure, that chunk of metal can hurt ya. (We actually had a member have that happen to him....it wasn't pretty! )

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
A couple of things about the ratchet strap...one...you want to stop as soon as the tire starts talking air..and loosen it up...then completely seat the bead.

Yes Be careful. One time I did this and when I popped the ratchet strap open the Pressure slammed the Ratchet back into the palm of my hand. It cut me a little but is really stung and wacked my hand real hard.

Now I remove the valve stem core, So once the bead is set the pressure rushes back out. Use your thumb over the valve stem to let out just enough to keep the bead set. Remove the strap and quickly reinstall the valve core.:thumbsup:

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
You can get the valve core back in and keep the tire seated without loosing all the air? Who are you, The Flash or something?

Skatehabitat24

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the replies and great information. Really excited to join your community. A little update on the kart since I finally had time this weekend to work on it....

I tried what I could with the old motor but after messing with it for awhile and not even getting it running again I broke down and bought a harbor freight replacement (100$)and it bolted directly to the kart I was very happy. Only tampering I had to do was to loosen the throttle nut to allow it to spring back.

I ordered a new clutch and throttle cable because the original cable was to short to reach and route the way I wanted it.

I managed to seat the back tires it looked like they were studded at one point and time. Didnt manage to get the fronts done I only have a regular compressor so I might take it to the local tractor store and see what they can do. Thanks again everyone will update when clutch and cable arrive. Clutch doesn't come with set screws I'm hoping local hardware store has them ???

Status
Not open for further replies.