New here! New to Go- Karts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cizko_MK6

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Kannapolis,NC
Hey guys my name is Francisco. I recently bought a project go kart with a Tecumseh formula 5HP engine in it for $50. I was riding it yesterday and them something sounds like theres a rock scrambling around in the clutch are and it only geta worse as RPM goes higher and them the car jerks a little. Im thinking its the clutch. What do you guys think?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,797
Reaction score
593
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Hey guys my name is Francisco. I recently bought a project go kart with a Tecumseh formula 5HP engine in it for $50. I was riding it yesterday and them something sounds like theres a rock scrambling around in the clutch are and it only geta worse as RPM goes higher and them the car jerks a little. Im thinking its the clutch. What do you guys think?

It sounds like your clutch. What type is it? A centrifugal clutch or a torque converter. I am assuming a centrifugal clutch.

Posy some pics of the clutch itself
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
87
Location
Houston Texas
:welcome2: glad you made it! We can help with your problem, but we are gonna need some pics and a video of the clutch working (with sound) to better diagnose your problem. It kinda sounds like the brass bushing is wore out and letting the bell cocktail sideways, creating a high squeal, sometimes clinking noise... BUT I can rule that out with a pic of the clutch..... :thumbsup:
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
:smiley_omg: That sure is one of a kind..... Whatha?? Hmmmm.. Ok... Just looks weird..... :lolgoku:

Maybe.....but just think about it. ....other than the danger of of a burn....or chain injury ... (without a guard. ...) is there a better place for an engine?

EDIT: I would stop short of " One of a kind".....but it's definatly a modified 2 seater.....the tip-off is the foot rest on the passenger side. ........
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
Doesn't look like anything is missing. If you're referring to the 4 holes in the side of the engine, that's there to attach parts needed for other engine applications.
That's a Hilliard clutch. Good stuff!
Do you know if the governor has been removed? Can you get a pic of the throttle controls at the carb?
 

Cizko_MK6

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Kannapolis,NC
I didnt know if there was a part missing on the clutch. Yea ill take a picture and post it on here. Im trying to find a way to post a clup of what it sounds like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
I had a sound like that and could have sworn it came from the clutch side. Turned out to be a nut rattling in the housing around the flywheel. I didn't catch it in time and it put a hole in the block! Be careful!
 

Cizko_MK6

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Kannapolis,NC
Gotcha!! Ill have to check it out but like he said, it sounds like its coming from the clutch but it might be something else


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top