New Guy with Questions and Pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turk

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Hello everyone. I hope that I can find some advice on this new project I am about to tackle. I decided to do a kart restoration with my 8 yr old and it all began with the purchase of a orange kart flag. I know but we had to start somewhere right. After weeks of searching this kart popped up on craigslist and we jumped on it immediately. At $150 for a running kart it was perfectly in line for our goal and our $500 budget. The kart did run (barely) and it seemed to have all the original parts so I figured I could restore this fairly easily with a little time ,patience and cash. First came disassembly in preparation for paint including painting the rims (that was the project for today). I have purchased a new predator 212cc engine and I just ordered from BMI a new #35 12Tclutch, new chain, new set of high speed bearings and 4 new Carlisle 145/70-6 knobby tires (decided to keep the same size that was on it for yard riding). So here comes the questions part. I am a little undecided about what size rear sprocket to get. It came with a 80 tooth which may have been original and I still can use that sprocket as it is not damaged in any way. I was originally thinking 12t on the clutch and 60t on the rear but wanted to get some feedback on what would be the best for my intented purpose which is yard riding (flat no hills) and maybe some country road riding. I have pluged the numbers in the speed calculator but still wanted to see what everyone else thinks about the 12t/60t or should I change the rear sprocket size. The clutch has been ordered already so that's gonna have to stay. Tires are 14 inch, predator 212 cc 3800 rpm, don't know the kart weight but I am 190 and my son is 55 so I would like to figure this with my weight and main purpose is yard riding. So thanks to anyone that can help and here are the before pics
Western Flyer Limited according to the faded headrest

 

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Messages
119
Reaction score
1
Location
Dallas, TX
60 tooth would probably be okay with your son but not with you and definitely not both. I have a 12/60 combo with a cvt (which lowers the take off ratio quite a bit) and I can't take the slightest hill. If I were you I would keep the 80, plenty of speed for running around a yard, and what you really want in smaller spaces is acceleration anyway.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
I would try the 80 tooth you have. 6.66 to one. you will have great acceleration for you. and Jr can do good donuts. But since there is money in your budget get a 72 to play with and see which you like.
 

turk

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Thanks to everyone for the input so far, I am staying with the 80 tooth and have disassembled the sprocket and cleaned it up. However this is what I disassembled, can someone please tell me what I need to fix this mess??? Thanks
 

turk

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
I agree ^.....:thumbsup:

The mess I was referring to was the old bolts used as spacers. Don't they make some type of hub that would connect the wheel to the sprocket without looking like that? I thought it was some sort of backyard engineering. I just want it to look a little nicer, maybe I will find some type of metal sleeve to hide it.
 

turk

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Alright, I solved the appearance issue with the drive wheel now I have another question. My goodie box from BMI will be here tomorrow so that means this weekend I will attempt to mount my new tires. Please know that I do not have a strong enough compressor to set the bead on the tire so my question is, should I just take them somewhere to have it done or is there an easy way to make this happen? Anyone done this before? Thanks for the advice and here are some progress pics.

 

DirtyDamage

New member
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Location
Westminster Colorado
Carb cleaner and a match....kinda dangerous, look it up on good ole YouTube...I personally always use Dish Soap, A ratchet strap, and a compressor. Get's the job done.

How many PSI is your compressor if it can't set the bead?
 

turk

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Carb cleaner and a match....kinda dangerous, look it up on good ole YouTube...I personally always use Dish Soap, A ratchet strap, and a compressor. Get's the job done.

How many PSI is your compressor if it can't set the bead?

Dont laugh but my compressor is one that plugs into the cigarette lighter of my truck. I doubt that will do the job. *note to self- ask for a decent compressor this christmas*
 

DirtyDamage

New member
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Location
Westminster Colorado
Look on craigslist, can probably get a nice small "pancake" 150PSI compressor for cheap($25-$50), it's what I have and it works well.

I'm looking at a new 13gallon and they're running about $75-$100
 

crazykart

Crazy member
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
7
Location
Swartz Creek, Michigan
While psi is nice, it's actually the cfm that allows the tire to expand rapidly and seat the bead. Then again using a ratchet strap to basically get 90% of the way there first would probably work just as well.

Plus I got a 25 gallon 5hp with an extra 30 gallon tank that I hooked together off cl for $50. Works extremely well for anything

The carb cleaner/fire does work, but is EXTREMELY dangerous to say the least, plus you can probably kiss that pretty paint job goodbye around the edges.
 

Iron John

New member
Messages
397
Reaction score
26
Location
NA
Use starter fluid, not carb cleaner, the quick flash will not harm the paint.

Or put the wheels and tires in the trunk of your car and take them down to your local gas station and use their air.

Wheels and spacers look mint. Definitely 5 mph right there. ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top