New guy to the forum

Lukedavis

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Luke and I’m 14 years old. A couple of days ago I started a custom scratch built go kart project. I might need some help soon about what parts to get. I learned to weld a year ago, and I think I’m pretty good at it. I’ll post some pics of my cart later. Can’t wait to get it running!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Yeah, welcome aboard. Anybody that can weld at 13 years old is doing it right. Like Denny said, we can be a bit cranky at times, but you've already passed the spelling and punctuation program. Many your age fail miserably at those two things. Most any problem or situation you run into one of us here can help you out. We've seen and done most all of it. QUICK POINTER. You are getting ready to build a Kart, not a Cart.

Lukedavis

Reaction score
Yeah, welcome aboard. Anybody that can weld at 13 years old is doing it right. Like Denny said, we can be a bit cranky at times, but you've already passed the spelling and punctuation program. Many your age fail miserably at those two things. Most any problem or situation you run into one of us here can help you out. We've seen and done most all of it. QUICK POINTER. You are getting ready to build a Kart, not a Cart.
Thank you sir! I turn 15 on the 29th. The auto correct changed Kart to cart.

Lukedavis

Reaction score
Sorry for responding so late. I’ve been trying to get caught up in school. I’ll see if I have any photos in my camera roll and if I don’t I’ll get some here in a couple of hours.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
For safety’s sake get rid of that mesh for the floor. You don’t want to loose any body parts because they slipped though the floor. Nor do you want any sticks coming up through or one of the rods break off and spear you.
Another suggestion is to grind off the zinc coating on that pipe. It will weld better and easier. Not to mention the galvanized poisoning will make you wish you were dead, if it doesn’t outright kill you first.

Lukedavis

Reaction score
For safety’s sake get rid of that mesh for the floor. You don’t want to loose any body parts because they slipped though the floor. Nor do you want any sticks coming up through or one of the rods break off and spear you.
Another suggestion is to grind off the zinc coating on that pipe. It will weld better and easier. Not to mention the galvanized poisoning will make you wish you were dead, if it doesn’t outright kill you first.
I’ve been using a respirator

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’m not trying to be mean, but help you to succeed. Start a thread with your kart and plenty of pictures and let us look it over. Just so we can help you to make it safe and reliable. You want to have fun with it and not get hurt. I know I don’t want to see you hurt.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I’m not trying to be mean, but help you to succeed. Start a thread with your kart and plenty of pictures and let us look it over. Just so we can help you to make it safe and reliable. You want to have fun with it and not get hurt. I know I don’t want to see you hurt.
It blows me away a 15yo welded that from scratch.. And says he has enough experience to be dangerous with a welder already...

Is even asking for the generic parts list we all use often.

OP the gokart is good for a start but just weld together a simple square and find a bike on the side of the road to cut up. You could probably make a heck of a drift trike! You just need a bit better material and you could have a lot of fun.
CCF0E549-11A3-4972-80F4-2BBB96D3FC09.jpegF977A2C2-AC03-4ED6-B440-849958348A32.jpeg

panchothedog

Reaction score
Hate to pile on here, but I'm with ezcome-ezgo. Your frame is horrible looking. No two pieces of steel look the same. Did you draw it out on paper first. It looks like you found a bunch bent up steel and just started welding stuff together. There should be some consentrecity from side to side. The right and left side of the frame should resemble ( better yet be exactly the same ) each other. Honestly, if I were you, I would draw something up, too scale and start over. Also, take the advice given by Denny and grind the coating off of the steel before welding.
Not trying to be mean, but look at what you have built so far, and compare it to other successful frames. No resemblance. Make a plan and follow it.