new engine for a new build.

jamyers

Reaction score
I have come to my wits end with this carb. I cleaned it again, it runs great wide open. Still at idle it is surging constantly. What would be a good carb to throw on it?
Surging (especially at idle) indicates a lean condition. Does that one have an idle mixture screw, or just an idle speed screw?

If it's a Walbro LMK, I've got a bunch of carb bodies, parts, etc for them - yours if you want them, just pay postage.

KMEFA

Reaction score
I have rebuilt & set up carbs for over 45 years,, & the best ''hands down'' stuff I have ever used is :
CRC ''QD'' electronic cleaner.

Used carb cleaner the first half of my carrier,, then switched to brake cleaner,,, & now only use the CRC stuff.

It is thin,, dissolves & get's into tight places -''right now'',,, & is also plastic, nylon,, & rubber safe.

Wally world sells it for under 5 bucks a can,, & the Auto stores sell it for 10+ bucks,, for the same can. :rolleyes:

I highly recommend giving it a try. ;)

613QhH3wLrL__AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
For the record I've never seen any difference between carb or electrical cleaner when cleaning out carburetors, doesn't matter what brand. From what I can tell it's mostly just the spraying action and the acetone that gets gunk up.
Then again-different people use spray cleaners differently ;)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah it might not be acetone at all I've never read close enough on the label to know. :roflol:
But it does smell like it!

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
I went ahead and wrote off that pump and tossed it. after running it the small amount I did the oil was pushing out and cloudy through the sight glass. The pump was trash.
Is it a cat pump my oil window in the end of the got smashed I thought I knew how to take it off I reckon my method is not how you are supposed to do it I think mine is model2sfx30g my oil was disgustingly well it looks like yellow milk but this is the strongest 5hp washer I have ever seen when you say trashed it I hope it’s not actually gone I know but I shouldn’t have been sleeping I just hope I can buy parts for this pump

Attachments

• F6B2D001-9E49-484D-A67E-18250FF53BF2.jpeg
    F6B2D001-9E49-484D-A67E-18250FF53BF2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

jmaack

Reaction score
Surging (especially at idle) indicates a lean condition. Does that one have an idle mixture screw, or just an idle speed screw?

If it's a Walbro LMK, I've got a bunch of carb bodies, parts, etc for them - yours if you want them, just pay postage.
pretty sure only an idle circuit. When I take the screw all the way in no change and completely out no difference.

jmaack

Reaction score
Is it a cat pump my oil window in the end of the got smashed I thought I knew how to take it off I reckon my method is not how you are supposed to do it I think mine is model2sfx30g my oil was disgustingly well it looks like yellow milk but this is the strongest 5hp washer I have ever seen when you say trashed it I hope it’s not actually gone I know but I shouldn’t have been sleeping I just hope I can buy parts for this pump
general pump. a cheap one.
it was clear in the window and only halfway up sight glass when I got it.

jamyers

Reaction score
Yup, you've got something blocking the idle circuit - which can drive you absolutely insane sometimes... Replacement Walbros are out there, but you'll never know what jets are in them, no matter what the descriptions say - which is why I've got a collection of parts for them, lol.

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
I am no expert by far but I have to agree with jamyers. Your carb is gummed up somewhere. I read in a couple post that many karts coming from China often have some gel or something placed in the carb by the manufacture to prevent corrosion. Some people explained the first time you start the engine you have to run it for sometime before driving the kart. I can't remember the details but as I recall the problems they described are exactly the same as your karts issue.

Just something you could look into. Then again good carbs for these units aren't that expensive and you could put one on your engine and work on the original at your leisure. Good luck.....

jmaack

Reaction score
I have used cleaner and an ultrasonic cleaning. It doesn't work. This is a simple carb like I had maybe 25 years ago. I want a vintage look somewhat. I am tempted to throw a late 80s carb on and have some fun.