New DIY stinger pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3480h

Reaction score
Never having been good at leaving well enough alone, I decided the Fox II rebuild will need a stinger pipe. Have some 4130 3/4 x .063 tube left over, and an empty jumbo paint rattle can. Used a small drill poked through a blue shop rag and drilled out the valve. There was still a little pressure left in the can, but not enough to make it out of the spray nozzle. Followed the small drill with a 3/4" hole saw. Heated the 4130 tube and bent to 90°then inserted one end about 3" into the can and welded it. Welding steel as thin as a rattle can is a challenge - we won't go into how to fill holes with oxy-Acetylene. Then welded a tab for a brace to the tube. With that done, a pattern of 1/4" holes was drilled in the bottom of the can. Tomorrow I'll mill a mounting flange to match the engine's exhaust port and studs. Then it's on to a new intake.

I know I could have probably bought a stinger exhaust, but DIY was more fun, and the part cost me a couple small welding rods and a little gas. Cheap is good, right?

Attachments

• SringerSm.jpg
    SringerSm.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Stinger2.jpg
    Stinger2.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 7

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
That looks so cool! I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Didn't realize the rattle can were steel.
Maybe I could do the same with my flux core. I have done thin metal with it. I just use my low heat setting, fast wire and travel speed.
Might try welding some cans soon then for practice.

OzFab

Reaction score
That looks so cool! I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

:iagree: Looks mean nothing if it sounds like crap...

Didn't realize the rattle can were steel.
Maybe I could do the same with my flux core. I have done thin metal with it. I just use my low heat setting, fast wire and travel speed.
Might try welding some cans soon then for practice.

For best results welding thin metal, TIG is the favoured method but, when using wire feed, many short 1second bursts provide a better result than one long burst

n3480h

Reaction score
It may well sound like crap. But it'll be a better crap than the "puff puff puff" the EPA muffler makes. Just having fun with a welding challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.