New clutch won't engage???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsf74

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone I'm new here and need a hand. I rebuilt a manco silver streak for my son and replaced the turd 50cc with a 5 horse Briggs fun power. I bought a brand new tsc masters of motion clutch and the thing won't engage while on the ground. Works fine on jack stands but nothing off. My gear ratio is about 5 to 1 but that shouldn't be the problem. Please help.
 

Jsf74

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Clutch engagement is in relation to rpm. The tire size and ratio would only effect take off speed and top speed. The rpms are maxed out but the drums do not touch the clutch. At least that's my theory. I build full size race cars normally but this kart stuff is new to me.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
What TS is trying to say is, if your gearing is too high, the clutch will engage but the engine doesn't have enough torque to set you in motion...

Ok, you've started well, you've done a freewheel test. Now, what happens when you try to drive it; does the engine bog down or does it just free rev? If it free revs then, correct, your clutch is not engaging but, if the engine bogs down, the clutch is engaging but, as I've already mentioned, the engine doesn't have enough torque to get you moving because your gearing is too high
 

Jsf74

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Free rev. I'm thinking I must have just got a faulty clutch. I was just hoping it was something dumb but these things look pretty fool proof.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
In that case, I tend to agree with you. It may be that you ended up with a high engagement clutch. You can either exchange it or, if that's a major hassle, try stretching the spring (NOTE: this should only be done as a last resort & by someone with experience in these matters)
 

carter

New member
Messages
390
Reaction score
1
Why go through all of that trouble though? he could just take it in and exchange it.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I would also say the clutch is a problem. 5:1 is high, but with 10" tyres it shouldn't do what it is doing now. Personally I would get a lower gear ratio if it were me. More fun
 

Jsf74

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
It was the clutch. Swapped a new one on and perfect. Thanks everyone.
 

Jsf74

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Running real good and my son is having a blast. He just snapped the axle in half about an hour ago so we got to replace that now. No biggie it's fun getting to work with my son and teach him about dirt track racing. Kind of tuff to have him help on my dirt modified but he's starting to understand go karts. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top