New Carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
I have a Honda clone and because it's a clone and Chinese built it must have a sh** carb. Can anyone tell me how good the carb is on there and what carb to put in? I want to get one to get a lot better performance out of the engine. Is it possible to get 10-15+ mph out of a new carb? Thanks.
 

Badot

New member
Messages
677
Reaction score
2
Not unless there's something wrong with the one in there now. With engines you can either get more air into the cylinder (turbocharge, supercharge, high flow intake/exhaust, porting, etc) or have it pull in the same amount of air more often (higher revs)

The fuel air ratio needs to generally stay the same. Running an engine slightly rich can help keep the engine cooler (just a tiny performance increase) and/or keep it from pinging (from running cooler) but use more fuel and have increased emissions (and possibly buildup in your engine) and running an engine slightly lean can help reduce emissions and fuel consumption (with increased heat)
 

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
16
Location
Lynchburg, VA
and/or keep it from pinging (from running cooler) but use more fuel and have increased emissions

and running an engine slightly lean can help reduce emissions

Depends. Do small engines run warm enough to produce NOx?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Then do this:

Warm up engine, shut off, remove and clean plug.
Reinstall plug, drive at WOT, hit kill switch while still flying.
Roll to a stop, remove plug, take pic, post here.

This is sometimes called a "plug chop" or plug reading, and will tell you about your jetting situation.
 

Badot

New member
Messages
677
Reaction score
2
Depends. Do small engines run warm enough to produce NOx?

Not sure about all the chemistry behind NOx or other emissions, but I know at the very least running lean helps stop carbon monoxide from forming. Since the molecules aren't perfectly distributed, more oxygen makes it easier for it all to completely combust (meaning CO2 instead of CO).
 

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
that kinda makes me wonder what that smell is when you start the engine. What is it? It cant be carbon monoxide because you can't smell that right?
 

Badot

New member
Messages
677
Reaction score
2
Nope, can't smell CO. I can usually smell gas from cold engines but might just be the leaky gas caps :roflol:

I know engines run rich cold (choked), but I'm not sure if when they run 'badly' due to not warming up that they would put out more CO or not. They'll definitely put out something though, they tell you at the DMV to warm your engine up before you go through inspection because of that, and I figure that car engines and small industrials probably won't be too different in that sense. I'm sure devino can correct me if I'm wrong.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Partially, the reason you need to be up to operating temperature before a smog test is because catalytic converters have to be HOT to work properly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top