New Build Over Winter (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_shot

Reaction score
Ok so my idea is to build from scratch or as near as over the winter so i have a face ripper in the spring/summer. Need basic advice to start, Frame design, engine, where or what to look for etc(As above NOOB so wording is still abit rough lol)

Now i know how you help full bunch like Plenty of info to answer these sometimes rather silly questions so i will do my best ;)

And i Plan to use this Thread over the whole build so patience be with the lot of you:thumbsup:

What im after:
-A light, fast tarmac Racer, Handling is crucial.(anyone can do a straight line;))
-Hoping for 50/60 Mph top speed so never run outa throttle:drool5:
-So i reckon itl be a shifter poss a cr 85 or similar engine ne bells and whistles to match.

Q's
- well does all this sound a bit :arf:?
- its a one seater and im 75kgs
-When it comes to the Frame, Recommend bought or built?
-Should i settle for 40mph no gears? as only ever so slightly tempted to take this route?
- Any very valuable resources, Pages,Books etc out there would be great as im not rushing into it plenty time to research(I know this site is priceless:D its just so vast it'll take me the time to work through, athough its DIYGK still #1:thumbsup:
-ANY MORE INFO YOU GUYS NEED just not sure what to list yet?
-Last off just get me told if im talking nonsense and try point me in right direction if poss:D

Now reading that back it sounds a bit :huh: But as i have read sooooo much here on this forum i reckon you nice bunch can make some sense of my madness:wai:

Given time, i will be correcting/helping some of you pros out anyways;):smartass:

So ehhhhh well all left to say is bring on the madness, cant wait :ack2: hehe but patience will be my ally on this :auto:

:cheers2:ALL

OzFab

Reaction score
What im after:
-A light, fast tarmac Racer, Handling is crucial.(anyone can do a straight line;))
-Hoping for 50/60 Mph top speed so never run outa throttle:drool5:
-So i reckon itl be a shifter poss a cr 85 or similar engine ne bells and whistles to match.

50 - 60mph is crazy fast! Have you ever driven a kart that fast? Just incase you haven't, be aware that 30mph feels like 60 when there's nothing around you & your butt is inches from solid tarmac.

Do you already have an engine sourced or is it just a thought ATM?

Q's
- well does all this sound a bit :arf:?

Not all of it...

- its a one seater and im 75kgs

Should be fine :thumbsup:

-When it comes to the Frame, Recommend bought or built?

At that speed (or even half that speed) bought is better. The frame will be built for it as will the steering.

Oooor, you could build & just make it a lot tamer

-Should i settle for 40mph no gears? as only ever so slightly tempted to take this route?

The problem with settling for single geared is you'll be pushing it to reach 40mph

-Last off just get me told if im talking nonsense and try point me in right direction if poss:D

Oh, I'm sure we will :thumbsup:

qtband

Reaction score
:iagree:

While 60mph can be done, you'd be looking at serious consequences if something goes wrong, & it probably will.
I'd stick with a goal of 30 - 40 mph. If you feel the need for more speed after that, you can start upgrading.
Start looking on CL for a shifter kart frame. They always pop up.
Good luck!

scott_shot

Reaction score
50 - 60mph is crazy fast! Have you ever driven a kart that fast? Just incase you haven't, be aware that 30mph feels like 60 when there's nothing around you & your butt is inches from solid tarmac.

This seems to be my problem then because i have been too several karting places in scotland and by miles the 70Mph outdoor karts were just well:censored::thumbsup:

But tbh i know your right and going wrong (most likley badly) would just be my luck :roflol: Just would like to know the powers there :arf:

So i think ill settle for 40 with room to tune in future

Do you already have an engine sourced or is it just a thought ATM?

Nothing sourced as of yet, Thinking motox bike engine/trans upto 125, but 80/85 should be fine if good manufacture(Liking Honda/Yamaha?ktm etc) Although i have a few pennies saved, and coincidentally i got letter today about a pretty good tax rebate im due and will have in next few weeks :wai:
So i actually put myself about a month ahead maybe more finance wise :drool5:.

Would quite like to salvage out of something for the whole fun/learnin experience of it all but if i buy on its own, no biggie.

bought is better. The frame will be built for it as will the steering.
:thumbsup:kool got ya

:iagree:

Start looking on CL for a shifter kart frame. They always pop up.
Good luck!

CL not sure what that is buddy, Any particular Manufacturers to look for?

Cheers for the advice troops. :cheers2::cornut:

Krustalien

Battlebot builder!
Reaction score
There isn't a Craigslist in the UK, or not that I know of. Basically, it's Ebay, but you get more awesome stuff because it's America and they have all the toys! :(

Look forward to what you come up with mate, I live in Spain but am English, so a bit closer to home... and I think the member r_chez (or a similar name, forgive me) is in the UK, and he knows what he's doing. Might be able to help you with sourcing parts that aren't so off-the-shelf as in the US. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

scott_shot

Reaction score
LOL!!! Didn't realize you were in Scotland!
Forget about Cl.....

Cant find Nothing, whatso ever foru wise on karts in uk and nothing anywhere near the quality and quantity of info here :cheers2:

There isn't a Craigslist in the UK, or not that I know of. Basically, it's Ebay, but you get more awesome stuff because it's America and they have all the toys! :(

Look forward to what you come up with mate, I live in Spain but am English, so a bit closer to home... and I think the member r_chez (or a similar name, forgive me) is in the UK, and he knows what he's doing. Might be able to help you with sourcing parts that aren't so off-the-shelf as in the US. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

NOTE: All the toys:iagree::( you lot across the pond dont know how good uz have got it ;) Cheers will do :thumbsup:

Look at gumtree. That is basically the UK equivelent to CL.

Yeh good old gumtree had been good to me over years, there aint alot worthwhile kart wise but will keep my eyes open :thumbsup:
Cheers guys KEEP IT COMING THOUGH:roflol:

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
if this is your first ever build, then find a nice basic frame to copy from (plans help, but we're men - don't need no stinkin' plans! lol. kind of like maps.).

honestly, browse through youtube and find videos of karts in action that look like what you're aiming for, and determine what kind of motors/parts are easily available in your area. building a shifter kart is a bit complex for a newbie, most guys start out with a honda clone and comet 30 setup, and graduate from there. with a nice light kart and driver you can easily hit 40mph, with the right gearing and tire size.

i build off-road buggies with snowmobile engines, and they fly across the terrain, and up hills like they aren't even there. :)

scott_shot

Reaction score
if this is your first ever build, then find a nice basic frame to copy from (plans help, but we're men - don't need no stinkin' plans! lol. kind of like maps.).

honestly, browse through youtube and find videos of karts in action that look like what you're aiming for, and determine what kind of motors/parts are easily available in your area. building a shifter kart is a bit complex for a newbie, most guys start out with a honda clone and comet 30 setup, and graduate from there. with a nice light kart and driver you can easily hit 40mph, with the right gearing and tire size.

i build off-road buggies with snowmobile engines, and they fly across the terrain, and up hills like they aren't even there. :)

Musk be karting thaanngg but all ive done lately is watch and read haha, I think i have to concede the advice given is right :( but only slightly:idea2:

so if i just built(not engineered) eg bought good suitable chassis or possibly full kart n changed to me mad man specs:arf: Remember i am scottish :roflol:
Would this be sensible? although nt got the most experience in the buildin of these i certainly can make them move;) if i dont say so myself

if i put cr85 or cr125 into a goo chassis and geared right kinda speed are we talking? for either?:cheers2:

scott_shot

Reaction score
Yeh i agree am not a man wi words just a man with many faces lol.
Anyways there is a good wee selection of smilies there just getting it out of ma system lol! :devil2:(1 for luck)

scott_shot

Reaction score
Ok update time and still without breaking out the toolslol!

Basicaly and kind of sadly my plans have changed frrom a sleek racer to a chunky rally buggy. I know very different indeed, Basicaly I knew in scotland cuircits where I can bring own kart were limited but I wasn't aware how bad the seen was, so for practical reasons....

Now the good stuff, I have sourced what I consider a suitable good bargin. pics below hopefully

This comes without engine and 90% of what u see in pic. For a meere sum of.........Drumroll please.....

£75 geez I'm good. Pickup this week n plan a serious overhall with biggest change being fabricating on a nice bike engine and uprated springs. Let me know what y'all think, :cheers2:

Attachments

• FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg
    FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 14

OzFab

Reaction score
That's about $150, right? Not bad :thumbsup:

Questions:
1. What's wrong with the current engine?
2. Do you fit in that thing?
3. Do you have more/bigger pics?

scott_shot

Reaction score
Well picked up last night and had a couple hours to give ah good look over and must say im quite happy about it all:thumbsup: got too remember its a steal at the price.

looks like you got a good place to start and not a bad deal either congrats on your purchase i hope you have fun with it. got any stats on motor or how fast it goes

:iagree: think at that price i can certainly change anything to suit. I received it without the motor as previous owner eventually had issues with it and just sold it for spares, if i remember right he says it was a 180 cc in it previously, but i plan to change that:D

That's about $150, right? Not bad :thumbsup:

Questions:
1. What's wrong with the current engine?
2. Do you fit in that thing?
3. Do you have more/bigger pics?

:cheers2:man yep about right, although if we were being a bit bum retentive then about $135 i think(going by last time i bot anything from the land of opportunity lol
As for Q&A
1. Again don't have one.. yet:arf:
2. This is prob my biggest worry :worried2: although not an issue its certainly cosy, (i plan to extract every inch of room as i can, spent last night editing the seat mount as to go all way back so gained about 3 inch :wai:

Lets face it who wouldnt have an extra 3 inches for free :roflol:

3. its a crappy morning but will have pics up before yous across the pond are oot your beds:thumbsup: (could be ttly wrong guessing time zones here lol)

Nice score! That works out to be about R1000 in my piddly currency. A good deal for that frame. What size bike engine are you thinking of?

Cheers man:iagree: not sure think thats where you speed luvin engineers pay dividends:auto:
I suppose anything is possible within reason but as im sorted for fitting electrics but still alot to learn on the mechanical side of things

EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST EDUCATION!!!

Remember that i live by it lol!!

But i thing somthing with hi torque will be important gears :D And with all the time in the world and (especially now) good purse strings i really want to go all out and build it strong and to last.

So when i post pics up later i will show any wories/quiries i have in detail, i will measure everything i can, and no doubt post another long winded thread going on n on n on n on....:roflol:

I should really have a character limit :roflol: hahha enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.