need shock advice for race buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead

Reaction score
Need shock advise for the rear. Works Performance call me back today. They told me that my shock bodies both were cracked. They are now junk. I don't know whereto look to get a set that will work. Maybe an UTV rear set.

15" eye to eye. For the buggy below

Attachments

• 20160423_165412.jpg
    20160423_165412.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1460113316568.jpg
    FB_IMG_1460113316568.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11

ChromeRhino

Reaction score
I would try to find shock bodies or paor that need to be rebuilt first. Then look in to an alternative. Its worth a shot.

bighead

Reaction score
I would try to find shock bodies or paor that need to be rebuilt first. Then look in to an alternative. Its worth a shot.

I tried but problem is they are early 80's shocks. Early steeler model. Can'tfind nothing.

I only have 8" travel max beforeI start hitting stuff. So Ii got to get this right. Critical if you will.

I am thinking ATV fronts to light for my rear. Maybe UTV shocks?

The fl350 odyssey might work. But they got that big bolt bottom mount. I have a pair on my fl350. Maybe I can modify that mount. They travel and weight are close. But my buggy little lighter. Hmmmm . Perhaps just make a bushing?

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Snowmobile front shocks are similar in length. I used some that were 16" eye to eye to fix a buggy up. Mine were from a polaris.

ChromeRhino

Reaction score
I tried but problem is they are early 80's shocks. Early steeler model. Can'tfind nothing.

I only have 8" travel max beforeI start hitting stuff. So Ii got to get this right. Critical if you will.

I am thinking ATV fronts to light for my rear. Maybe UTV shocks?

The fl350 odyssey might work. But they got that big bolt bottom mount. I have a pair on my fl350. Maybe I can modify that mount. They travel and weight are close. But my buggy little lighter. Hmmmm . Perhaps just make a bushing?

Ahh... gotchya. Yeah, make bushings.

I'm not sure of your budget but there's a birtbike shock with reservoir, 14 3/8" Eye to eye for $100 a pop with shipping. Here's the specs and link:
http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/DirtBike_Extreme_Reservoir_Shock.htm
Dirt Bike Extreme Reservoir Shock (total 15 1/2 inch long, eye to eye 14 3/8 inch, 10mm spring coil,15mm Bolt Hole diameter)

$200 andyour all set with brand new stuff.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Snowmobile front shocks are similar in length. I used some that were 16" eye to eye to fix a buggy up. Mine were from a polaris.

Good thinking. Those would probably work.

It would be easier to help if we knew the weight of your kart (front and back), A arm length, shock mount distance from hub center, static compressed ride height with occupant and current shock specs. Otherwise its just a guessing game.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Also, keep in mind you can use a different size shock with a different spring and different dampening properties to get simular performance and you could also slightly adjust your mount placement and angle to adjust for a different spring/shock combo and end up with a very similar (or even better) performance results.

Status
Not open for further replies.