Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
I have a problem. I have a tecumseh 5 hp engine that runs but when it gets hot it loses power, then eventually dies. What could be the causes. Have pics on my page. Won't let me attach here with my phone.

OzFab

Reaction score
it could just be over heating

That's what I'm thinking; when metals heat up, they expand, making tolerances (the gap between moving parts) smaller; when those tolerances reach zero, that's when engines seize...

Would a oil change help. From what I understand is that it sat for a while.

...& you didn't change the oil? For all you know, that oil could've been in there since the engine was new...

Oil is full though.

How full is "full"? It's possible it's overfull

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
No it's within the crosshatch marks. Finally got it working after complete carb cleaner. Oil is next though. Just wanted a test. Drove for about 10 min before problem.

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
It is governed. But not sure if it is adjusted right. How do I adjusted a governor.

---------- Post added at 04:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Governor rod is also loose and leaking a very small amount of oil. Normal?

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned this: although I've never happened across it, it makes sense that your valve lash is too tight. When it gets warm the valves don't fully close causing it to lose compression and power.

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned this: although I've never happened across it, it makes sense that your valve lash is too tight. When it gets warm the valves don't fully close causing it to lose compression and power.

How would I check this. I don't have any gauges but a micrometer. Also plan to start a thread on the brakes.:mad2:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Buy a blade type feeler guage for a few dollars...then Google up..(or search here)....for valve lash adjustment .....not really hard to do
...but also not hard to get wrong.

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
IMO, it's a Tecumseh. That's the problem.

They're high maintenance engines, the parts are rarely interchangeable, they're not very forgiving, etc. I especially hate the carbs and throttle hookups on them.

Don't get me wrong, they're not "Bad" engines, they're just not as user friendly as Briggs. Or even Predator, for that matter.

I'm curious, how old is this engine? It may not even have OHV.

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
Does it look like this?

NotSoMasterMind

Reaction score
If you want to go low budget for cooling, you can get this vent(down below) which will act as a radiator which you can put on the sides or top. This does work knowing since i have done this before

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
If you want to go low budget for cooling, you can get this vent(down below) which will act as a radiator which you can put on the sides or top. This does work knowing since i have done this before

Ok....I kinda hate to go here....(since administration doesn't like me picking on newbies) .... but seriously, dude, you just keep spouting off bad worthless advice time after time.....Maybe you should learn a little first, before you spastically hit keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.