Need help with Peerless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
Been over a year since I was on here talking about the garden tractor build, which I have yet to start. Anyway, the Sears LT10/E 3 speed with reverse transaxle/transmission that I tore down last year ended up being junk. Few gears were kind of stripped. So after a long time trying to figure out where to go with this, I'm looking at using a Peerless transmission or transaxle. Transaxle will probably be my better bet since those already house the axles and that's 2 less things for me to need to fab up.

I know a few on here have at least in the past used a Peerless 700 series and 800 series, but those threads have been long locked so you can't really do a follow up on it. What tractors does one look at for this transaxle? I'm not at familiar with them but I would not be surprised that the old '72 out of the Sears was one. I know it also depends on application on which direction the input pulley needs to be turning so instead of only having 1 ultra slow forward gear and 3 reverse gears (would be a little fun until you back into a fence or tree :roflol: )it actually works properly. I'm after the H pattern 3 speed with Reverse since I believe anything more is just a straight shift and not H?

I'm not worried about the input pulley being the type for a vertical shaft engine because after my dad had bought a 2000 2165 Cub Cadet Hydrostatic (dislike hydros, gears or nothing) with a V-twin Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, being as that is a horizontal shaft, right below the pulley off the engine, there's a dual pulley/pulleys that grab the V-belt and in a way convert it to a vertical input without needing to twist the belt (but still runs a long belt). So I can pretty much rip off that design and not need to run a vertical engine.

Thanks in advance!

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
Did some looking on there and they don't have the greatest descriptions for them. Most look like a forward/back pull for changing and not an H pattern. Really wish the 3 speed I have wasn't thrashed so bad. But chewed up gears and bent pulley make it a paperweight. Could not locate a serial# on it for a ID to maybe locate parts from partstree. Seeing as its 43 years old I have my doubts.

Really trying to avoid getting a Comet Forward/Reverse gearbox since the gear ratios leave a lot desired and the questionable durability of its internals for the type of work I'd be asking from it. Is there anyone still active on here that uses an H pattern Peerless on a go kart or can help identify which transaxles or transmissions from them for potential model #s that'll work? I can work with model numbers since then I can search CL, eBay and scrapyards.

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
Just found out my existing transaxle is a Peerless 1200 and that it is not rated to be used in tilling/plowing use. Thsnkfully I found this out now than later.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Did some looking on there and they don't have the greatest descriptions for them.....

That's because they are a surplus closeout company, not a front line retail store. They can't give the ultimate set of details because if they only have 15 of a part, they're not going to invest the time to sort it out. They present what they know, and count on the buyer to identify the P/N, or take the plunge on purchase.

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
I did and my response did not change. Fortunately the pdf file I found from Tecumseh/Peerless gave a decent list of transaxle and transmissions as well as rebuild procedure. Up until yesterday I had no knowledge that the 700 series was offered in two different types of shifting. Don't take any of this the wrong way. Rather not jump in head first and get something that is not what I need and be out that much money.

ML-TOYS

Reaction score

machinist@large

Reaction score
I did and my response did not change. Fortunately the pdf file I found from Tecumseh/Peerless gave a decent list of transaxle and transmissions as well as rebuild procedure. Up until yesterday I had no knowledge that the 700 series was offered in two different types of shifting. Don't take any of this the wrong way. Rather not jump in head first and get something that is not what I need and be out that much money.

:huh: :huh: So let me get this straight; you are upset that a surplus closeout company that does not manufacture any of the items that they resell, and can come in lots small enough that you can count the items on your finger's and toe's with digit's to spare doesn't provide the exact same support as the factory that sold it to them on closeout?????

It's becoming pretty clear that you've never worked in heavy industry, let alone business period, because if you had, you would actually understand the math and logic involved. :horse: :horse:

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
What I am upset about is the fact that they give very little detail on what they are selling. Seems more of an unprofessional thing in my opinion.

ML-TOYS yeah I had noticed that pretty much the 700H was pretty rare after looking for pictures of them and was coming up fairly empty handed. Wouldnt be too surprised if a lot of them were destroyed by lack of mantinence or recklessness. But I did get the answers I can live with. Thanks for the help though, my applogies for coming off as being ticked off or being rude...was not my intentions.

machinist@large

Reaction score
What I am upset about is the fact that they give very little detail on what they are selling. Seems more of an unprofessional thing in my opinion

They provide the information that they have. Now, since you seem to think that they have all the time in the world to spare, why don't you actually look at how much inventory they actually list on their site.

I'm willing to bet that they have less than 50 employees, most likely no more than 100, and you seem to feel slighted because they can't read your mind when it comes to what you're looking for?????

I've been in their position, and I can tell you that we have words to describe people who get upset like you have..... And I know for a fact that they're not allowed here.....

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
Never been in sales never care to be. I'm the grunt that builds the things that is sold or the one asked to fix the previous person's mistake while also being yelled at by the customer. A small detail if something is one thing or another can be helpful and shouldn't take too long.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Never been in sales never care to be. I'm the grunt that builds the things that is sold or the one asked to fix the previous person's mistake while also being yelled at by the customer. A small detail if something is one thing or another can be helpful and shouldn't take too long.

Then that's where I come from on this. I've been the grunt, and decided that I wanted more. That involved learning thing's that most people have zero clue's about. Thing's like what it costs to maintain any type of inventory, as well as just how many companies are willing to clean house for tax purposes.

If a company has already written the item off, why should they be bothered to give any technical details at all to the company that they are selling it too??? Especially since they are more than likely selling at a loss and are trying to cut that loss????

I don't know what world you live in, but the world that I live operates on the rules I just described

frdtrkrul

Reaction score
Okay I'm done. This is not what I was asking for. You getting this ticked off just because I couldn't care any less about logistics or the politics behind the business side of this is really just sad. Opened up a can of worms that just was not worth it. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.