Need help with go kart plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattjordan

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice, I've been doin a lot of research and I'm gonna buy a 301 cuz it costs like less than 100 more than the 212 plus electric start, and a 6:1 gear ratio. Or get the 212 and buy something stupid like a lawnmower transmission
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
12,010
Reaction score
8,520
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
I would get a 420, that will get you electric start and 5 more horsepower and about 5 ft lbs more torque than a 301. :wai:

Denny
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
12,010
Reaction score
8,520
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
A complete machine shop with a very skilled machinist to build you everything since no body makes anything like that. :mad2:

Denny
 

Mattjordan

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I mean like what would I need to attach a manual transmission to my engine

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Also could I get a mini bike transmission that's attached to the axle and somehow put it on my go kart?
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
Industrial Engines
5-8 hp= comet 30 series torque converter (thats the 'transmission')
8-18 hp= comet 40 series torque converter (thats the 'transmission')
only transmissions available commonly include the 'comet FNR gearbox (forward, neutral, reverse this is good for up to 16 hp, and the driven unit of the torque converter fits onto the shaft of the gearbox)

GY6/chineese scooter engines (150cc, 250cc)
these also use a transmission similiar to the comet, but it is built into the engine
these also use a FNR gearbox, they commonly come in 1500cc style, and 250cc style

Notice that all of the above transmissions are AUTOMATIC, and you can add reverse with a FNR gearbox,


Racing Mower Trans
some mower racers use a peerless transmission that is BUILT (you cant just buy a regular old peerless trans, but you can buy knock offs, and built transmissions) a built trans will hold up better, a regular mower trans will just crap out on you and shear stuff when the torque is applied.

The rest
different variations of quality/style clutches
$20 clutch, cheap crappy clutch good for smaller up to 7 hp engines
$50 clutch, some are good for 3/4" shaft.
80-$100 clutch, varying quality, but much better than the cheap $20 clutch,
$160++ most of these clutches are racing style disc clutches

ATV/UTV
no idea there.
 

Mattjordan

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Thank you, do you know any good comet knockoffs cuz I can't afford to spend that much on one and I need one for a 1" shaft
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top