Need help with Chinese mikuni?

Willisk2004

Williskart
Reaction score
Got a vm34 clone to put on 440 duromax !
has header and valve springs, installed it and can’t start without carb spray and then it runs at high idle , if I try to drop idle to low enough to not engage torque converter then it dies and back to no start without spray? Still have governor installed and I put factory carb back on to enjoy the Kart while I try to figure this out! I may just leave it off till I do piston , rod and cam and then remove governor and try again. Unless y’all gots a simple fix

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The governor cannot be used with the VM34 carb. I would remove it if using the VM style carb. And remember that the stock carb linkage holds the throttle open a bit when starting. Aftermarket carbs need to be given a bit of throttle during starting.

Sounds like an issue with the low / pilot / idle jet. Once the throttle opens a bit and you are into the needle it runs. But if the throttle is closed (like at idle) then you have issues.

First thing I would do is check for air leaks. Get it running and spray some of your spray around the carb adapter gasket surfaces. Listen for a change in RPMs. If there is a leak, your spray should make its way in and change the air fuel ratio. The RPMs might increase. It's possible the RPMs decrease. If the RPMs change in either direction when you spray the gasket surfaces, you probably have a leak.

Next I would try to set the float bowl to specs. Not sure what the specs are, but you should be able to find them for a true Mikuni VM34. There are videos and how to's about setting float bowl heights.

After that, work on the jetting. Starting with the pilot jet.
What jet are you using?
How many turns out is the air mixture screw?
If you turn the screw in, does it improve or get worse?
If you turn the screw out, does it improve or get worse?
Are you using choke (or enrichment) when starting? Does it run better or worse with the choke (enrichment) partially on?

In this case, I suppose improvement means you can keep it running at a lower rpm or you can start it without carb cleaner.
Getting worse means the engine will only run at even higher rpms.

Turning an air screw in will limit the air. This enriches the mixture. If the engine likes it when you turn the air screw in, it may want a larger pilot jet. Turning an air screw out will allow more air. This leans out the mixture. If the engine likes it when you turn the air screw out, it may want a smaller pilot jet. The screw should not be all the way in, nor should it be more than about 3 or 3.5 turns out. My initial thought was that the pilot was too small and not giving enough fuel. You are supplementing the inadequate amount of fuel with started fluid (or carb cleaner). But that is just a first guess.

Engaging the choke / enrichment will richen the mixture up. If the engine likes it better when the choke is partially engaged, then it may want a larger pilot jet.

There are a number of videos available on youtube about tuning the idle circuit on dirtbike / motorcylce carbs that will do a much better job than me.

Last edited:

Willisk2004

Williskart
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, I have rebuilt many carbs and cleaned twice as many. I was stumped on this and not sure if it needed more fuel? The stock fuel line is 3/8 and the vm 34 is standard fuel line so I put standard fuel line on but the petcock on the bottom of tank is 3/8 could this be slowing fuel flow? I do agree that it may have had an air leak cause it seemed that nothing I did with screws worked. I put the stock on it for now as I wanted to ride it. But I am going to remove governor, change fuel tank fitting and reinstall sometime this week. Does the vent from the valve cover need to hook into nipple on billet intake adapter?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The nipple on the intake adapter is for NO2 of course. LOL

That nipple can be use for a number of things. The main use is for a pulse fuel pump (where the nipple on the intake is connected to the pulse nipple on a fuel pump).

You could connect a line from the valve cover to the intake, but I wouldn't. This would cause you to burn a bunch of junk, plus you don't really want new air getting introduced after the carb. Might cause tuning issues. But in a sense, this is how stock Predators (at least 212s) are set up from the factory. Actually I think they circulate the junk back into the system before the carb (air filter side, not engine side). I think they do this for environmental purposes. I guess it is better for the environment to burn the oil, than to let it mist out of the engine when the block is pressurized.

I capped off the nipple on my billet intake. I used a vacuum cap from the local parts store. I don't remember the size, maybe 3/16" or 1/4". From the valve cover, I either just use a breather filter or I vent the block, tie it into the valve cover, and do some sort of catch can set up. When I run just the breather filter from the valve cover, it tends to get soaked in oil.

I personally do not like to run the oil and other junk back into my intake, even though that is how cars and lawnmowers and such are designed.

Last edited:

Willisk2004

Williskart
Reaction score
I agree with not running it back if I don’t have to! Will the petcock on the tank only being 3/8 restrict fuel flow? And could I drill out the inside of the fitting if so? I currently put standard fuel line on and clamped it with hose clamp as it was loose on smaller fitting. I will be removing the governor and re installing the carb sometime this week, try to work on when wifey is busy since I started this for the kids and then going my adult size kart lol! Btw any idea what brand this is? Not in a major hurry as this thing hauls butt and has torque for days even with the stock carb! It climbs steep hills with ease at half throttle!0CB7A59E-4D28-4984-BBF3-944E34A48CFB.jpeg4DF8ACEE-EB90-4CE9-96C3-51C583F73817.jpeg8A570AE1-DB82-46D4-9106-E935E69AC24D.jpeg7604E996-6797-42FC-B82F-998D985E8758.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I don't think 3/8" fuel line will be restrictive as long as the gas tank is properly vented. I think most tank caps have a hole to allow venting. Some people drill additional holes in the gas tank cap

. What size is the inlet on the carb? I don't think I've ever used fuel line greater than 1/4" but I could be wrong.