Need help with charging system

Es196zav

Reaction score
Have a honda gx200 style motor on a rb200 frame with electric start. Having trouble keeping the battery charged. Using dual coils with a regulator/rectifier.it only is producing around 5 volts and is useless to charge the battery enough to maintain the battery after starting. Any ideas??

redflash

Reaction score
Keep it on a "Battery Tender Junior", that will keep up the charge .

Da flash

Es196zav

Reaction score
Keep it on a "Battery Tender Junior", that will keep up the charge .

Da flash
Is that just a regular battery tender because i have a regular baytery tender and thats what ive been using nightly to keep it charged

karl

Reaction score
Are they charge coils, or lighting? There is a difference.

How are they wired, do you have a diagram or something?

Snaker

Reaction score
Don't know your setup personally.
If the engine came from the factory with a battery electric start, they usually equip it with a charging system capable of keeping a battery charged, usually.
Did all those parts mentioned come with that engine?
Or did the RR in particular come with the chassis?

You can meter the charge coil output (be sure to disconnect all loads to avoid burnout)
Disconnect the RR and measure charge coil output only
Output should 12v AC and then some (or 6 v and then some on 6v)

Rat

Reaction score
This is the exact reason I custom rewound mine.
I actually have modified lamination as well to set 4 of them under the flywheel without issue.

I use a 'zuki GN250 rectifier regulator to step on my voltage because I make 220Vac just off idle and once regulated I make 14.5DCV at 2500 and up. This means that essentially I only get drain at idle (11.5v @1500) and during start up.

I'm also using a 12v 80cca 4lb Powersports (moped, small motorcycle, 4 wheeler, etc) battery, and a custom lighting system exclusively composed of Led's.

Rat

Reaction score
Have a honda gx200 style motor on a rb200 frame with electric start. Having trouble keeping the battery charged. Using dual coils with a regulator/rectifier.it only is producing around 5 volts and is useless to charge the battery enough to maintain the battery after starting. Any ideas??

You probably have half wave DC lighting coils, not charging coils.
Testing with a multimeter between the 2 coil out lines without the rectifier/regulator connected would tell you for sure. A typical coil pair with half wave bridge rectifier chip is usually between 3A and 10A, with a 12v peak dcv if they are for lights only, somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 if they are for charging, and if they are not running a bridge chip the dcv setting wont read but acv will.

If there is a chip as I suspect, hooking them to a rectifier is:
1. Pointless because it's already DC
2. The reason you have uselessly low voltage.

My set up is a custom wound pseudo 3phase using 18awg and requires external rectification and regulation... if I disconnect my reg/rec I make 220 V~ just above idle, and I don't really want to know what it would peak, I kinda smell burnt hair just thinking about it.

I get a nice peak of 14.5Vdc just above idle (12.5 at idle) with the Suzuki 3 input rectifier

Attachments

• 20220802_050339.jpg
    20220802_050339.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5