Need help/ opinions

Dhughes94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the go-kart scene. I bought a off-road go-kart frame and I'm planning to put a 420cc predator engine on it from harbor freight. I got a 14th tooth clutch and I got a 60 tooth sprocket ordered what I'm wondering is if this is a good setup or not. The go-kart frame is big. I'm an adult 5'10 250 lb and I can fit in it just fine. What I'm really wondering is is it worth getting the 420cc predator engine? Do I have the correct setup with the clutch and the sprocket? And should I do a torque converter as well? Please let me know what you know so I can get this thing built for me and my son. Thank you so much!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Start a thread in the Gokart section. But 420 sounds like a good choice. 14 tooth centrifugal is a bad choice.
Welcome!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Torque converter is the ONLY way to go. Yes it adds a little expense to the
initial build price. But the versatility it provides to your kart is beyond compare.
you will have strong acceleration, the ability to climb hills, and good top speed.
PLUS you won't burn up a clutch. You might burn up a belt now and then but if so a new comet belt is a lot cheaper than a new clutch. It is basically an automatic transmission for your go kart.