Need Help Finding Chain for my Firefox 620

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon_Kart

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a new chain for my kart. I am not having much luck. I'm just getting started with karts and really don't know where to look. this is the link for the parts manual for the kart http://4atvparts.com/uploads/TPG7-NTEFIREFOX620Correct.pdf on page 31. I believe it's a 74 tooth chain. can someone refer me to the correct chain I need or possibly the part# for it. The part# listed isn't giving me any results. Please help. Thanks!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
the chain isn't identical on all firefox 620 based on the generation.

If you have the Malossi style CVT (you'll notice to have fins on the driven and a hole in the cvt cover) it should be a #40 chain (better crosscheck that);
if it's the later models it comes with a comet torque converter and a #35 chain

You can also count the rear axle sprocket, that's either 60Teeth (#40 chain) or 72Teeth (#35 chain)

And with that, you can simply buy any #35 (or #40) chain that matches the length of your old one,
or buy it 'long enough' and shorten it to your specific needs.

'sid

Recon_Kart

Reaction score
Ok that's good info. I believe it's a Gen 1 or 2. It has a TC on it, not sure if it's a comet though. One question I do have, what is the best way to shorten a chain? also, if I posted a pick of the TC would you be able to identify the make? Thanks!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
A TC (Torque Converter) is nothing but a CVT (continuous variable transmission),
so yes, you have one on board :D

The best way IMHO is a chainbreaker tool, but you can simply do it with ordinary tools too;
like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUVhTaGZDf0

Yes, if you post a picture (we looove pictures) We can identify the TC/CVT you have,
it's really easy in your case.

The CVT/TC comes in three major parts the driven (the unit mounted to your engines output shaft) the belt and the driver (the unit mounted on a jackshaft)
If your driver has fins like an airblower, it's the scooter style cvt;
if not it's a series 30 comet TAV2 kit.

Oh, while your at it taking pictures, measure the distance between two teeth of the sprocket (tip to tip) 3/8" is a #35 chain 1/2" is a #40 chain ;)
Anything else, let us know.

'sid

Recon_Kart

Reaction score
I just want to thank everybody for the great advice the kart has been revived this is been a great learning experience I picked this kart up for $320. first the axle bearings went then the chain now I'm hhaving problems with the brakes. it seems that once I use the break the caliper does not depress the cylinder, also is the pad supposed to just be sittin or "floating" between the cylinder and the disk? any ideas on if this can be fixed or if I need a new caliper? Thanks

OzFab

Reaction score
Well, it's meant to float to some extent but, it's also meant to be "fitted" into the caliper. I think we're gonna need pics, maybe even video for this one...

Last edited:

Recon_Kart

Reaction score
I hope this pics help with identifying the problem with the breaks. Im working on video now.

Attachments

• 20131011_130813.jpg
    20131011_130813.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
  • 20131011_130803.jpg
    20131011_130803.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131011_130709.jpg
    20131011_130709.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20131011_131054.jpg
    20131011_131054.jpg