Need help figuring out what type throttle cable to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.etheridge

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Im a newbie to go karts and I picked up a frame for my kids. we stripped it, repainted, made a seat ect. I got a b&s 5hp model #135202 with a 3/4 in shaft from a guy. Now, we need a throttle cable for it and im lost. I took some pics to show everyone what kind of frame set up I have. The screw looking thing is hollow, and was on the kart where the L shaped bracket is. The bracket has 2 holes in it. This kart is just for my kids to ride around the yard and stuff like that so im not looking to spend a lot. The gas pedal also has 2 holes in it. Any help and links to what I need would be greatly appericated!
 

r.etheridge

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
pics
 

Attachments

  • go kart.jpg
    go kart.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 13
  • go kart1.jpg
    go kart1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 12
  • go kart2.jpg
    go kart2.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 18
  • go kart3.jpg
    go kart3.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 11

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Welcome to the forum.

Those pics are great for detail but, not the details we're looking for; it's difficult to gain a perspective. Can you take some pics of the carby, both close up & a bit farther away so we can judge what we're looking at
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Much better, thanks.

Now, as landuse said, you can use a bicycle brake cable, including all the bits & pieces, mainly, the adjuster. Connect the adjuster where I've labelled the pic "mount cable anchor here". then, carefully drill a small hole in the linkage and attach the cable end where I labelled "attach cable here" & put a return spring from the hole where the linkage rod goes to... something solid along the same line as the linkage. Attach the other end to the throttle pedal & you're good to go :D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 16

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
Do you have a picture of what's under the carb? My B/S set-up is connected under the carb. Also, where are you located?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Based on the pics, no, it's different. Qtband has a gravity setup (carby under the tank), r.etheridge has a suction setup (carby on top of the tank)
 

r.etheridge

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Much better, thanks.

Now, as landuse said, you can use a bicycle brake cable, including all the bits & pieces, mainly, the adjuster. Connect the adjuster where I've labelled the pic "mount cable anchor here". then, carefully drill a small hole in the linkage and attach the cable end where I labelled "attach cable here" & put a return spring from the hole where the linkage rod goes to... something solid along the same line as the linkage. Attach the other end to the throttle pedal & you're good to go :D

where can I get the spring your talking about? im assuming it needs to have a good bit of resistance?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
where can I get the spring your talking about? im assuming it needs to have a good bit of resistance?

That you'd have to investigate yourself. For starters, I have no idea where you are. Any good auto parts store should stock them; just ask for a throttle return spring. Get a measurement so you have an idea what size to get
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
592
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Based on the pics, no, it's different. Qtband has a gravity setup (carby under the tank), r.etheridge has a suction setup (carby on top of the tank)

I am going to have to disagree with you here Fabroman. I have a briggs 5HP engine that has a pulse jet suction carb on the tank, but has a throttle setup under it like Qtband. Qtband also has a suction carb:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top