Need advice!

YOSHII

Reaction score
Just acquired this Rupp, on a low budget but any advice is welcome on the quickest to get it up and running 20231124_132624.jpg

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I agree with what Denny said. It is a valuable machine at least the frame and fork is (plus anything else that is original on it) and a decent investment as Rupps are one of the most sought-after vintage minibikes. Can I ask how much you paid?

If both wheels are the original Rupp 'Turbine' wheels (does the rear match the front?) that is a bonus.

If you want to keep it and use it as a "rider" (restoring $$$ it sounds like it's out of the question), then the most basic course of action is to determine the health of the motor: see if the motor turns over or that it isn't stuck. Looks like the air cleaner is missing its top so that worries me (could have let water inside). Engine looks like a Honda GC series engine. Get that up and running and then you need cables (if they are rusted and don't move), a #35 chain and maybe some new ball bearings for the wheels. See if the rear drum brake works and if the clutch is satisfactory. Don't let the rust bother you, the brake and clutch may be fine after some cleanup. The rear sprocket can also be cleaned up with a drill and a wire wheel or an angle grinder with wire wheel. . .

I'm just guessing at what might be wrong with it. Tell us more as you find out.

Hellion

Reaction score
I can tentatively ID your minibike as a pre-1967 Rupp Continental Special.

Should be a VIN tag on the top of the seat pan but it's probably painted over and illegible. I think you can use something like brake fluid to soften and remove the paint without damaging the tag. I think the date of production can be deciphered from the VIN but I don't have that info.

Your bike has front suspension only (spring shocks) and may have had an optional lighting kit (headlight, taillight).

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The only things missing are the seat and the correct Takashema hs35 engine. I think the rear brake parts are still available but you may have to hunt for them. At least they were a few years ago.

YOSHII

Reaction score
I agree with what Denny said. It is a valuable machine at least the frame and fork is (plus anything else that is original on it) and a decent investment as Rupps are one of the most sought-after vintage minibikes. Can I ask how much you paid?

If both wheels are the original Rupp 'Turbine' wheels (does the rear match the front?) that is a bonus.

If you want to keep it and use it as a "rider" (restoring $$$ it sounds like it's out of the question), then the most basic course of action is to determine the health of the motor: see if the motor turns over or that it isn't stuck. Looks like the air cleaner is missing its top so that worries me (could have let water inside). Engine looks like a Honda GC series engine. Get that up and running and then you need cables (if they are rusted and don't move), a #35 chain and maybe some new ball bearings for the wheels. See if the rear drum brake works and if the clutch is satisfactory. Don't let the rust bother you, the brake and clutch may be fine after some cleanup. The rear sprocket can also be cleaned up with a drill and a wire wheel or an angle grinder with wire wheel. . .

The very low price of nothing as a gift for Thanksgiving I can't really find any distinctive info concerning worth, but would love to sell it reasonably

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You are better off restoring it properly with the correct engine then selling it. As for value right now it’s worth more as parts. With a correct restoration maybe about $2,500.

Hellion

Reaction score
You are better off restoring it properly...

Restoration means "a return to original condition" and the parts are just not all there for a complete and correct restoration. It would have to be really good to net $2500 (and you'd need a sucker). Fenders are missing and they are "unobtanium" unless you get lucky on some used ones. You'd have to have a period-correct engine in the correct configuration and the chrome chain cover is also unobtanium. Whatever parts he does find are pretty expensive, depending. Besides, it is a rich man's game.

Original engine was a 2½ HP Lauson ( later bought out by Tecumseh ).

They have repop seats on some sites, for example: http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/_11181_seat_assembly_1964_67_continental_special.html

93A204D6-7219-494D-8F34-D45144DF67E5_1_201_a.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The chain guard in chrome and the fenders were being reproduced too at one time. There used to be a guy on the World Wide Web that had all the reproduction parts including the decals. But the cvt for the bigger bikes was still impossible to get.

Hellion

Reaction score
Yoshii's bike is one of the lower priced or "economy" minibikes that Rupp sold. It's not the cheapest (that was the Continental Cub also available in kit form at the time) but it is second from the lowest on the totem pole and people *usually* go for the later Rupp "mini motorcycles" or the eye candy ones (TT500, XL-500, XL-350) that are similar to the Continental frame but with front and rear suspension, lots of chrome, separate chrome fuel tank, long chrome exhaust pipe, lighting kit powered from the engine's alternator, etc.

I could be wrong; the marketplace is what it is and it fluctuates just like personal taste.

Hellion

Reaction score
I'd just turn your bike into a runner/rider and not a museum piece. If someone knows what it is and offers you cash money, then you can sell it for more than you paid, which was zero.

Is the engine freely turning or stuck? Those Honda GC engines are neat--they are some of the very few small engines with a belt driven overhead cam (OHC) and not the more common pushrod Over Head Valve.
The weird thing about it is the exhaust is front facing just like on a real motorcycle, so it would be cool to custom fab an exhaust header that does a 180° curve to the left and back.

JimD

Reaction score
The clutch in the picture is a Max-Torque "SS" (six shoe). The description on the old style clutch was a two shoe clutch with the material riveted to the shoe. I have one hanging on my wall and I have bead blasted some to bring them back to life for some people but they are very rare to find still in working condition.

Restoring the mini-bike is a project of love and you would never get your money back if you put a $1 an hour value on your time but the sense of accomplishment is really priceless. It is a great project and the people on this site would help you get to your goal, give it a try and keep us posted with pictures and have a wonderful Christmas --just think about your next present!!! It could be a Shelby Cobra.

Rat

Reaction score
The clutch in the picture is a Max-Torque "SS" (six shoe). The description on the old style clutch was a two shoe clutch with the material riveted to the shoe
I've got a Max-Torque SS sitting on a shelf that mostly just needs the circlips replaced, they were rusted and broke coming off. Has 6 weights and doesn't appear to have much wear, but using a centrifugal is beneath me

YOSHII

Reaction score

I feel like it'll have a better home elsewhere for someone who will appreciate it more.
I just want to ride everything works except the engine never tested it tho, just called it quits.

Rat

Reaction score
I feel like it'll have a better home elsewhere for someone who will appreciate it more.
I just want to ride everything works except the engine never tested it tho, just called it quits.
That's not cool... why you tossing in the towel?

I suppose if you can find someone that is a restorer and collector that knows what it is and it's legitimate value it very likely to be the most profitable pile or rust you've ever had your hands on and sold.