Need Advice on fuel line

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Last week I drained the gas out of one of my go karts for winterizing. I noticed the gas looked oddly like the color of my fuel lines... yellow. I'm guessing the gas is making these fuel lines deteriorate prematurely because the last time I had the kart out for a ride, I noticed a little high end misfiring had developed since the previous rides a month earlier.

The transparent yellow fuel lines were new in the spring and are already very stiff/hard. Is it just that they were a low quality/grade fuel lines, or is that normal for all fuel lines? I'd really like to stay with the look of the transparent yellow because it ties in well with the overall color scheme and look of the kart.

It was cold and I didn't feel like digging into the problem more.

Can I get some vendor recommendations for a quality, long lasting fuel line in transparent yellow?

karl

Reaction score
Is the fuel ethanol free? What grade? Regular pump gas tends to go yellowish over time.

And was/is the line used genuine tygon tubing, or knockoffs from OMB, GPS, ebay, amazon, typical scumbags, ect ?

The genuine tygon stuff lasts a couple years before going hard/ discolored. The cheap stuff does not last at all.
Sunlight degrades them fast. That's why I only use the thicker rubber line, lasts 10 years plus. But I understand aesthetics
are important, so Id find the closest power equipment dealer and pick up the real stuff, it's only sold tinted yellow.

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Is the fuel ethanol free? What grade? Regular pump gas tends to go yellowish over time.

And was/is the line used genuine tygon tubing, or knockoffs from OMB, GPS, ebay, amazon, typical scumbags, ect ?

The genuine tygon stuff lasts a couple years before going hard/ discolored. The cheap stuff does not last at all.
Sunlight degrades them fast. That's why I only use the thicker rubber line, lasts 10 years plus. But I understand aesthetics
are important, so Id find the closest power equipment dealer and pick up the real stuff, it's only sold tinted yellow.
Well, some of your questions, I don't have an answer for. I think the 1st time I filled the tank on that kart ( brand new Predator 212) it was with Sunoco 96 octane, then the next top off was with regular pump gas.

Genuine tygon tubing... oh boy, I'm pretty sure it wasn't genuine anything... unless maybe genuine junk. ;)
I do think it was from one of the kart supply vendors BMI, OMB, or GPS who I just figured I could trust.

Tinted yellow will do. After a quick search... is Tygon F-4040®, or Tygon® LP1100 what I want?

karl

Reaction score
It might just be the fuel giving the color. But lines going stiff , probably not.
The real stuff has the name printed on it like so.

The f-4040 is what I have experience with. The 1100 seems to be lo permeation, meaning more resistant to
absorbing the fuel, making it last longer in theory.

Attachments

• 20211127_191603.jpg
    20211127_191603.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
It might just be the fuel giving the color. But lines going stiff , probably not.

The f-4040 is what I have experience with. The 1100 seems to be lo permeation, meaning more resistant to
Great, I'll get the best then. And, I think I'll stick to Sunoco 96 octane too.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
just go out pick up some cheap high pressure gas line from stock and field, menards, or harbor freight/princess auto, its black but just use a lil spray paint thats made gas safe

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
just go out pick up some cheap high pressure gas line from stock and field, menards, or harbor freight/princess auto, its black but just use a lil spray paint thats made gas safe
...uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that doesn't sound like what I had in mind.

7thofa2nd

Reaction score

I ordered some that did not have the name printed on it, but just now cancelled the order before it shipped out. Then I ordered some 4040 that did have it printed on the hose.

THANKS

If I had not cancelled that order, by the time that fuel line deteriorated, I would have had no recourse.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
Ya, i just never really had the need for me to go out on the look, all my engines run fine on stock lines, but now i know where i can get them its going to be used on all my rigs probably

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Ya, i just never really had the need for me to go out on the look, all my engines run fine on stock lines, but now i know where i can get them its going to be used on all my rigs probably
The problem for me now is... I'm gonna have to replace ALL of the fuel lines on my chainsaws and go kart engines that I replaced with those junk fuel lines. :(

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I think you need to determine what the color of your preferred gasoline is, when it is fresh from the pump.
The original color of gasoline is clear but many gasolines are dyed. AvGas is dyed blue, for example, and some others are indeed dyed yellow, like piss :cornut:

In the US, the octane rating of unleaded gasoline is 87 for regular (greenish-blue color), 88- 90 for midgrade (yellowish color), and 91-94 for premium (pinkish color) quality fuel. Each of these ratings has its color but it depends upon the additives.
I'm not sure if the above info is absolute or written in stone for all gas brands, but take it for what it is worth.

You're overpaying for this 96 octane fuel in an engine designed for low octane gasoline. The lowest you can find will suffice which I suspect is something like 87 octane. You think you're buying high octane "performance" or "rocket fuel" in a jug but the higher octane rating of a gasoline denotes the fuel's ability to resist pinging or knocking before the air-fuel mix detonates in the engine. In other words it is designed for high performance, high compression engines and won't make a noticeable difference in your Predator "lawn mower engine". 🤭
It's also a myth that premium rated fuel is cleaner than regular fuel.

The alcohol/ethanol/corn squeezin's in gasoline is certainly contributing to the early death of your fuel line. It's the alcohol in the fuel that eats up gaskets and fuel lines.

Seek ye the pure 100% gasoline, 0% ethanol for all your small engine needs. https://www.pure-gas.org

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
THANKS... I'm really not as concerned with the octane of the gas as I am with the quality of the fuel line. I was baffled as to why it was running perfectly when I parked it, then a month or 2 later it was missing high end.

I'll replace the fuel lines, clean the carb, put fresh fuel in and see what happens.