Napa motor oil for baja warrior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if I could use napa performance 10w30 motor oil for my baja warrior minibike, any help would be appreciated

mckutzy

Reaction score
Regular Dino oil is as good as it comes for these engines...
I'm assuming a clone type installed??

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Some oils work better than others depending on temp. 10w30 might be a bit too much (there's an oil weight sticky) weight wise but will work fine. 5w30 is a bit nicer for all temps usually. Just change it as often as the manual suggests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I used to use 10w40 in my Baja, did so for years, until I went to the store to get some and they were out. The I went to 10w30, and it works fine.

Where are you from? Here in Ga it can get an easy 95*F (or higher!) in the summertime, which is why I used the 10w40.

Reaction score
Regular Dino oil is as good as it comes for these engines...
I'm assuming a clone type installed??

Ya it’s a Honda clone I think and good to know

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I used to use 10w40 in my Baja, did so for years, until I went to the store to get some and they were out. The I went to 10w30, and it works fine.

Where are you from? Here in Ga it can get an easy 95*F (or higher!) in the summertime, which is why I used the 10w40.

I live in Canada bc, don’t get too hot really

Randy H

Reaction score
Hopefully Dollar Store oil is what is stated on the label.

Back in the 80's I had a rusty old 70's Chevy van. She was an alcohol, ganja, who know what drenched party machine. Also she was an oil leaker/ burner. Oil pressure gauge didn't work, or didn't have a measurable oil pressure. I knew it was time to add oil when the lifters started clattering.

One day I stopped at a scary looking stop and rob. I needed oil bad. I bought a couple quarts, don't remember exactly, but it was a good price. It was black, I'll call it recycled. It kept me going, although it was probably barely suitable to keep down dust on a old backroad.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The Dollar store stuff says...

"Meets American Petroleum Institute's (API) higheset automotive standards for high temperature protection (API SN), ILSAC, GF-5, GF-4, GF-3.

Exceeds car manufacturer's requirements API Service SN, SM, SL, SJ - SAE 10W-40"

I don't know what any of that means.

This stuff looked clean and Honey colored.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score

You should have told me there was a list. I didn't make it that far down the first time I looked.

I don't feel good about paying $10/qt for Royal Purple. This Bob is Not the Oil Guy.

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection
• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection
• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection
• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection
• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.
Test result differences between oils of less than 10% are not significant, and oils within that range can be considered approximately equivalent.

Some ones I picked out..

83. 5W30 O’Reilly (house brand), API SN conventional = 91,433 psi

89. 5W20 Royal Purple API SN synthetic = 90,434 psi

2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi

57. 10W30 Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil synthetic = 97,118 psi

How is your oil's wear protection rating?

Outstanding! Thank you for asking.

Randy H

Reaction score
Haha, sorry about not mentioning the list. If it's any consolation I am riddled with guilt. I won't be ok again till my morning Percocet kicks in.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I figured that blog would consume you for hours, Bob. Unfortunately the author writes mostly about defending his tests from criticism.

This is what I buy, mostly because of it's price and my own cheapness:

84. 5W30 Castrol GTX High Mileage, API SN, synthetic blend = 91,404 psi

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Just picked up some O'Reillys 5W-30.
$4.72 / qt after tax.

Unfortunately for you EZ^2, My oil is far superior.
0.03% Better. Don't care what the author says about significance. 0.03% is obviously extremely significant.:rolleyes:

I should probably go back and read all the stuff before the list.
I have no idea what the ranking even is. LOL

KartFab

Reaction score
so what is this that i hear about regular motor oil frothing because its designed for pressure lubed systems, and what not?

What is this other stuff i hear about "race" oil being crappy air compressor oil?

Higher weight oil for better compression at high temps and rpm?

I dunno, but i do know that you just put oil in your engine and it runs and that's about it.

I also know that if you get crazy cam/heavy springs, you could put REGULAR non-detergent oil in the engine, and add that Zinc/Phosphorous stuff to it to you dont flatten your cam and lifters. Just sayin. But then i went and bought that synthetic purple stuff with ZDDP in it, and then it has me wondering about this whole frothy thing and maybe i should get the other stuff that ARC sells, but then i guess they arent trying to sell it hard because look at the description. http://www.arcracing.com/oil-lubrication/ Now im running out of oil, down to my last quart or two. Then nyou got mr NR racing guy recommending certain weights and whatnot for his cams. http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/2601.htm

I just feel like i dont know much about these oils.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score
so what is this that i hear about regular motor oil frothing because its designed for pressure lubed systems, and what not?

What is this other stuff i hear about "race" oil being crappy air compressor oil?

Higher weight oil for better compression at high temps and rpm?

I dunno, but i do know that you just put oil in your engine and it runs and that's about it.

I also know that if you get crazy cam/heavy springs, you could put REGULAR non-detergent oil in the engine, and add that Zinc/Phosphorous stuff to it to you dont flatten your cam and lifters. Just sayin. But then i went and bought that synthetic purple stuff with ZDDP in it, and then it has me wondering about this whole frothy thing and maybe i should get the other stuff that ARC sells, but then i guess they arent trying to sell it hard because look at the description. http://www.arcracing.com/oil-lubrication/ Now im running out of oil, down to my last quart or two. Then nyou got mr NR racing guy recommending certain weights and whatnot for his cams. http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/2601.htm

I just feel like i dont know much about these oils.

Shame oil you!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I believe that people do modifications in the sump to prevent the oil from foaming up as much.

People have said that they fab up a piece of angle iron (aluminum) and bolt it where the low oil sensor used to be. It helps brace the block and provides a partition for some oil to hide behind or something.

"make a plate that braces the low oil shut off inside the case ( even better if its a piece of angled aluminum that closes off the area and leaves a void where oil is not violently whipped around, this is not a windage tray its just a quiet place in the block where oil is not whipped into foam )."

Then I saw this windage tray thing on Stout Racing yesterday, which I'm not sure what it does.

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 17
  • windage tray.jpg
    windage tray.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 7

Randy H

Reaction score

Attachments

• Image11a.jpg
    Image11a.jpg