My sons intro to horsepower

neener

Reaction score
No
I have used the royal purple booster from the typical suspects,
but try to avoid it.

During the warmer seasons the station in town sells CAM2 leaded 110 octane at the pump
for $10.99 a gallon. I just mix some of that with 93 octane pump fuel.

So one part CAM2 to four parts premium should put you in the 96 octane zone,
and last quite a while.
No

neener

Reaction score
In my opinion on an air cooled engine the 101 is not needed yet but it is nice to have. Air cooling is not as efficient or as even as a water cooled system. Once he hits that 11.8 he will though.
Higher octane gasoline burns hotter wtf are you talking about?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Higher octane gasoline burns hotter wtf are you talking about?
Thinking I know how you got there, but even at that you've got the thought reversed. First of all, higher/lower octane fuel does not run inherently hotter/cooler. Secondly, there is a difference between the two, but it's only that it takes more heat and compression to pre-ignite (pre-detonation, firing without any spark) a higher octane content fuel.
The only useful reason to increase octane rating is when you increase the compression ratio (when modifying a motor), which of course increases the heat generated by the act of compression. If the air/fuel mixture does pre-detonate due to a low octane fuel content, the more timing advance put into the tuning the less likely the chance of pre-detonation. That's why a friend of mine got really confused when he reduced the timing on a motor thinking he was basically detuning it, and it started pre-detonating.
Nobody likes to pre-detonate their wallet, but seriously folks, the safety factor for the motor is worth so much more than the cost of using some higher octane fuel or an octane booster or some other method to raise octane content that I don't understand why reasonable folks who understand this wouldn't just arbitrarily increase octane in the presence of any doubt about it.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
If the piston is truly flush with the deck, I’d be hesitant to use a .009 head gasket. I like to try to keep about .030” piston to head clearance.
There is no harm in using a higher octane than needed. It smells better, and if you can afford it, then it won’t hurt anything.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No it doesnt work that way just mixing the two together smh

Ya, it kinda does. I had a friend who worked in Standard Oil Lab, a friends neighbor who retired from Marathon lab and a brother in law with a PHD in petro chemicals that all 3 say the same. It does work, different ratios end up with differing octanes.

jmaack

Reaction score
No it doesnt work that way just mixing the two together smh
It really does. At least around here trucks have 3 tanks on them. diesel, premium 93 regular 87. Most stations only have 3 tanks and there is no migrade tank. It is mixes to make the 89.