My Other Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3480h

Reaction score
Two more years and this will be flying. It is a plans-built Sonerai IILS, not a kit. Bought the plans, a lot of 4130 steel tube, a lot of aluminum and engine components. It is a 2 seat aircraft that cruises ~150mph. Also building the engine, a 2287cc VW, highly modified for aircraft use. Wings are all aluminum. Fuel burn is about 4.5 gallons per hour. Just so no one worries too much, I've been a pilot since 1998, and have flown everything from a high performance aerobatic single seat biplane to a 6 passenger twin. The smaller planes are far more fun.

Attachments

• Sonerai 9-25-2014sm.jpg
    Sonerai 9-25-2014sm.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 13
  • normal_Pilot_s_View_6-14-12.jpg
    normal_Pilot_s_View_6-14-12.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 12

mckutzy

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I don't have much love for flying, but still that's cool.
However... I had and still think on what it would take to build an autogiro, don't ask me why, it's still an aircraft.
I think those are the coolest "planes" around.
Good work.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ain't that what Buddy Holley's pilot told him just before take off. :eek: "Don't worry I'm a good pilot". Yea but are you a good fabricator and engineer? :lolgoku:

Oops you fed the troll!

Denny
:feedtroll:

n3480h

Reaction score
Nah, I used JB Weld instead of Oxyacetylene. Bubble gum after I ran out of JB Weld. That way you can sub tubing from a used TV antenna. So when parts come off it'll just be lighter and fly better, right? No need to worry about modulus of elasticity and such.

I are not an engineer, but I slept in a Motel 6 once.

JMINDY

Reaction score
Cool looking project! I have a brother in law who has/is building his own experimental aircrafts. He's a professional pilot for UPS, doing mostly oversea flights between China, Japan and the US. He currently has a plane he is building in his garage (sorry couldn't tell you what it is...).

Here is a bi-plane that he built... it didn't end well last July... cross winds got him on landing! Here it is upside down in the field. Him and his passenger walk away unharmed...

LOL It's not going to stop him from keep building them!

Status
Not open for further replies.