My first go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam91

Reaction score
Which motor is more preferable? If I take 2 DC motors for 2 rear wheels, DC motor controller & 4 12V batteries(2 for each DC motor) ; then how much speed it gives in 2 seater
go kart & how much cc or hp it has? Please give me your valuable suggestions.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
well that all depends on how powerful the motor is. also depends on the gear drive ratio

don't forget to use deep cycle batteries

Sam91

Reaction score
Thank you very very much for your valuable suggestions.
I like to make a go kart which gives me about 30-40 kph and it may have
good average. Please give me complete details about motor, motor controller
and batteries:confused: . Please give me your suggestions as fast as possible. I am making
this go kart as my college project.So please me:( !!!!!

thatoneguy

Reaction score
sorry to be a buzzkill, but now way in hell are you gonna make a kart that fast with a bunch of electric motors. ps i did see ONE guy do 30 in an electric kart but the batteries were enormous and it died after three minutes.

thatoneguy

Reaction score
im on a psp so i cant do youtube.

i guess 15 mph is possible but the problem still exists that you would not be able to keep using the kart all day long with the recharging of the battery.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
Wow...too many questions to answer...I think Ill have too make another video to attempt to answer some of the questions that I've been asked. Here are a few FAQ's though:

-Which batteries do you use?
4 x 12v 33AH (amp hour = capacity) lead acids. I would use Lithium bats, but as a student at $10 an hour I cant afford them by a long shot.

-Which Motor?
Briggs and stratton "etek" 48V 300A 15HP I dont think they make them anymore but "PMG" - a german brand, make a 72v 400A 35HP motor! (it is more expensive though).

-How fast?
It only goes about 60KPH (36mph) with the current (LOW) gearing, but with different gearing I think it could do over 110KPH (66mph), (I know a guy who put the same motor and controller on a pocket bike/monkey bike with 1 to 1 gearing and he did 178KPH (110MPH)!!

-How long will it go for?
About 15 minutes flat-out with one battery pack (4 x 12v 33AH bats)

I hope this helps!

By the way...someone asked for drawings...I didn't do any (sorry!!) I measure once, cut twice :D

Cheers, Felix
hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.