My engine tuning, performance, and short rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
These pages will be me either:
Tuning a part
Adding a part. whether it be visually,electronically, or performance wise & much more etc.

Will also include Me putting the kart to the tests i set up with these tires i am currently using. Keep scrolling down and you will see them later. The Fronts AND the Backs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So...
Beginning .. i really don't want to type that far long ago right now, Let's just skip to the good stuff.

-----------------

and i have an ARC Billet material Connecting Rod as shown below \\//

----------------------------------------------------------------

So THAT being accomplished and said, I installed 18 pound valve springs to DOUBLE the stock rpm and power output. It put out more Horsepower but it took away some Torque but i plan on gaining that lost torque with a carburetor bore and the already-accomplished fuel tune known as main jetting and emulsion tube jetting.
It took me a few days to learn when to adjust the carb .
Doing what i did for a fuel upgrade will nearly eliminate the ability to idle correctly but the power gained really makes up for it.
---------
some Flair

Under Glow :

i bought a waterproof led strip with color choices of Blue, Red, or Green. This pic happens to be the color Blue. :

It looks like a blue/purple in the pic but its real blue in person.

-------------------------------
\\ Electricals :

Tachometer mounting spot:

----------------------------
Ignition :
Purchased a spark plug that is able to ignite a slightly richer-than-normal combustion ratio. Has more spark than stock:

Definitely looks different and can handle a tougher Load.
-----------
-- ----------------

Air Intake

*Will be boring carburetor and show progress And with Video.
*Will be experimenting and test how much boost of air and fuel this thing can compress.

Unit of measurement: P.S.I.

---------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Removed Governor :
Did not want to limit my RPMs in fact i wanted to gain them So i removed the governor.

-----------------------------

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Gearing:
Here is the 48 tooth sprocket:

and i made a 12tooth vs 10 tooth visual comparison of the TAV30 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUjikKtZec
The 12 toother is what i currently use therefore giving me a 4:1 ratio.
Transmission:
got the TAV30 torque averter. Has 3 gears: Low, Medium, High and an overdrive.
Here is the TAV30 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYcNkvKDlzA
//\\ Notice how quickly it "jumps" into high gear. That is how quickly my tires lose traction..great for drifting I just need a live axle but MUCH prefer a limited slip differential so i can turn better.

bigair49

Reaction score
Hey right on keep at it!
Glad to see that you are still at this even after all the abuse.
I can say that I have learned a lot from others, and from my own mistakes. The important thing is that we progress in a positive way from what we learn. I do however think it's time to set up a proper seat and throttle now that you are riding it! You do have brakes right??:thumbsup::thumbsup:

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Torque Converter mounting:

For us dead-axle kart guys When we decide we want an extra "oomph" in acceleration we look to getting a Torque Converter. For most of us we cant just "mount it on" without doing some fabrication.
So what i decided to do was lengthen the frame to accommodate mine. and Plus it gives the kart more of a Hill Climber look..you know, the ones you've seen that kick up huge rooster tails like a small powerful tornado.

Two Reasons kart needed to be re-fabbed for torque converter:

\\// Number1 Reason why.\\//

After kart lengthening. Sorry, didnt extra have grey paint:

//\\ sprockets line up now, torque converter fits, //\\
///\\\ On a budget with 2 different rear wheels. the positive side:the right one helps me slide\\

I'm sure you may have noticed that second engine.
Well it came off a generator that i disassembled and all it needs is a cut of the side cover,a cut for the keyway for a clutch, and the thickness to be shaved down a bit to accommodate this clutch i have.
-------- It will be either Dual Engine or a dual carb setup but if possible i will be experimenting with both. I've already came up with a few dual carb ideas but one i like the most has the ability to run a blow-through boosting setup all while the other carburetor is naturally aspirated and running.
----------- The 2nd carb will run with just the flip of a fuel switch and the push of an air button for instant power gain. But that will take a while to acquire the parts i need and PLUS the tuning process.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Small hill-climbing video after the 12 tooth driver and 48 tooth driven sprocket and lengthening upgrades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UsObYzNymk
and also testing the WOT acceleration on take-off with the new 4:1 gear ratio.. TAV on hole #1 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTYDHxL1l4

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you do the cutting and lengthening of the frame. Please post some pics of the cut and weld areas, as there might be some problems with strength and stability

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Some welds:
these welds are stronger than the metal.

left-mid frame weld:

crap phone camera.

rear-right wheel weld. Yes, i mounted them to raise the rear height a bit

Rear-left: wouldnt upload

Welded uncleaned Harbor Freight wheel 1 of 2. They work great by the way.

The frame is holding up great too so far. no twisting of the frame even after all the bumps i put it through.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Yep....that's gonna BREAK....it won't twist, it'll just crack and fail....

Soooooo.....all the bumps? What? 3 or 4 30second runs?

i've put about 35 minutes of stress on the welded kart on bumps that go between both driveways and the trail located near the house.

i need to get this problem out of the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRZHPiUp6c&feature=youtu.be
i was wanting to drift the curve but steering's too wobbly.
i dont know the solution to this problem yet . Could any welding fix it?

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
REALLY? You want us to tell you from that crappy video? Can't you see the problem and at least give us a pic of it?

Just guessing...I'd say a broken spindle arm....but with you...it might just be a heim joint that lost a nut!!!!!

BTW: 35 minutes does not a "stress test" that means anything make....especially since in those "35 minutes " you probably only hit those bumps a dozen times.....it'll break!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah...that helps...that's about the most dumbazz set up I've ever seen!

See the difference between that and the left side....(while driving) ?????????

WTF!!!! Yeah....no words...right side ought to mimick left at the spindles!

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Yeah...that helps...that's about the most dumbazz set up I've ever seen!

See the difference between that and the left side....(while driving) ?????????

WTF!!!! Yeah....no words...right side ought to mimick left at the spindles!

i bought it that way so cant blame Me on that one.
do you think if i do a small weld it would fix it? i think it would but i thought i'd better ask first.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

and the Tie Rods are screwed in as tight as they can be If that matters any.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

What'cha think? sound like a plan?
i moved them back & forth and i see no flaw in it. Not even a turning radius flaw. Just need to cut a small section off the rod so the wheels are aligned right.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
NO! Besides the fact that really won't work....it needs to be like the right side...JUST like the right side....

And I didn't think you did it....but it's still goofy!

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Yeah, you're gonna wind up with some odd geometry having one end of your tire rod super close to the spindle, and one further out.

Not to mention, you have more steering effort the way it is now.

Get some flat stock, make two arms at once, weld them to your spindles, bolt up your tie rod.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately those welds you did to lengthen the frame are not going to hold under any sustained riding. Like i said to you (and posted a picture of), you should have sleeved the area getting welded. Here is the pic again

Attachments

• Roseweld.jpg
    Roseweld.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
OOPS....I said right side, I meant left!
I understood you on that one.

Unfortunately those welds you did to lengthen the frame are not going to hold under any sustained riding. Like i said to you (and posted a picture of), you should have sleeved the area getting welded. Here is the pic again

i did that..just with a round tube inside the square pipe.
i guess it would make it half-sleeved. Much better than no sleeve.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
i did that..just with a round tube inside the square pipe.
i guess it would make it half-sleeved. Much better than no sleeve.

Take a photo of that. I don't see it. If you did, then kudos to you, even though it was a round tube. Better than nothing

Looking at the pic you posted it looks like you just butt welded the frame to the extension without a sleeve. Looking at it again i can see a hole that you welded up like in the pic i provided.

This is the pic of yours i am referring to. Is this where you sleeved it?

Attachments

• Rear_Weld.jpg
    Rear_Weld.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.