• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

My Dyna is sick, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
So the voltage regulator went bad on my 2003 FXDX which I discovered by the battery smoking profusely under my seat in a McDonalds drive through. I tested the system and it was seeing roughly 19V+. I put a new voltage regulator on it and it was good again. However a few short weeks later it was running rough, then died for good.

Now, I had to replace the ignition module in October cause the bike was running rough and that was the culprit. In the couple days before it died recently, I noticed the rough running was similar to that back in October.

So, could I have fried the ignition module? I get absolutely nothing when I turn on ignition, with a good battery. Could I have damaged another computer like TSM? What are your thoughts?

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Oh, and the day it died- I was thinking maybe the TSM was bad due to high voltage so I researched how to bypass it. Found several things that said jump pins 9 and 12 so I tried it, it was at that moment the bike died,

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
Ok another update, I threw a fresh battery in her and wahlah! Dash lights us as it should but wont crank and check engine light is on. I can not remember how to pull the codes and Google isnt being much help right now. I am jumping pins 1 and 2 on the data link connector, but I get no flashes, just a steady check engine light

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like what happened to me last year...
very different bike very similar problem description..

mine escaleted until the saddle got so fricking hot that I was afraid of boiling some eggs,
a second later the dash went blank and ignition was gone for ~ 10seconds (during the ride) ... luckily it came back on (pure luck) and stopped frying my pan as well so straight home I went.

turned out I had a weak connection
mine was in the connector between alternator and regulator
that weak connection caused a spark when running,
that spark heated and eventually burned the connector case causing a short eventually...

I still can't find the correct connector housing, bought a dozen of the wrong ones already :(

Anywho, If you happen to have a pyrometer handy (laser non contact thermometer)
and you manage to start her up again (push starting anyone?)
try to find the weak connection.
start the engine, turn on the lights, and shoot it with lasers
(well the connectors with the one from the pyrometer, no violence against motorcycles please :D)

In case you can't start the engine at all..
just skip ahead and disconnect every single connector,
clean it and reconnect again.

If you already burned the connector (as it sounds to me)
And it's not just the next connector in line from the non working appliance
and thus easy to spot with the naked eye.
you might need the wiring diagram for you bike and see what's next to check.
in case you want to concentrate on it running aggain first.

but frankly, you should check all other conenctors as well, they're all the same age and all have seen the same weather etc... so yeah :(

'sid

PS Good Luck!
PPS have you checked and verified the alternator coil resistances and voltages as well,
that can give you a clue if it's just the alternator that suffered not the regulartor :(

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
well the fact its not turning over at all tells me it could be any number of things, I pulled the ignition module out and sent it back to manufacturer for warranty, I probably wont try much with it until the module comes back

Status
Not open for further replies.