my delimma

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
So The axle I was going to use is an 18"x1" live axle with a 1/4" keyway and 1.5" threaded ends, which would have worked perfectly. So I went to double check my rim before ordering it today... 3/4" with a 3/16" keyway... that won't do.

Since I jumped the gun on buying the rims/tires (craigslist deal, dozen tires/rims for $40... sadly most of the tires were shot except the one I needed for the back, figured the rims alone would be worth it.) now I'm stuck with that rim and tire.

So I've decided to try and find a 3/4" axle with a 3/16" keyway at least 18" long with threaded ends...ya that is turning out to be impossible.

In all of your infinite wisdom I ask: does anyone know anywhere that I can get a 3/4" axle with a 3/6" keyway and threaded ends at least 18" long, max 24" long (or even a jack shaft) for a decent price? Or am I going to be stuck trying to find an 8" rim that will hold a 22x11.00 tire that also has a 1" bore with 1/4" keyway?

Gahhhhhhh! :lolgoku: I've been searching all day and it looks like I either pay $30 for a non threaded jackshaft thats 3/4" and then buy a die and thread it, or shell out around $50 for a new rim (only one I've found that will fit the tire and has a 1" bore and 1/4" keyway.)

Suggestions? Thoughts? Anyone want to kick me while I'm down and tell me I'm a dumb:censored: (don't worry, I've been calling myself it since I measured the bore on the rim...I was so sure it was 1" bore when I glanced at it when I bought it, live and learn I guess) :furious2::censored::horse:

KartFab

Reaction score
I was at gopowersports last week, he says that they turn down a 1" axle on one end for the one wheel drive karts. Maybe give GPS a call or your local machine shop or fab shop.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Ya it's a trike, 2 front 1 rear, low and wide. I'm going to try a few machine shops tomorrow. mostly what comes up on google searches though is a local bar (the machine shop lol) and 2 places in town. 1 is a collision shop, which I doubt they can help, the other is a machine and tooling shop, which I guess I'll see. Everything else is hours away.

I'll give them a call too though and see what can be done/shop around a bit. I'm kind of suprised that axles aren't readily available in 2" jumps from 6" up to like 42", but I guess supply and demand.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Lol @ML-TOYS: that was actually the site where I was going to order from if I just decided to cut my own threads as none of their full keyed shafts have threaded ends. I have contacted them though and asked if they could thread the ends for me.

Thank you though, that's why I'm here, figured one of you all may have delt with finding a non-readily available shaft before, and might know of a little known place or something.

@planejob: I'm sure they could come up with a solution for the headache this shaft fiasco has been lol.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Well they said they don't carry anything like that, which I knew, but I asked if they could thread the ends and I got generalized answer of "we don't carry anything like that".

Which kind of goes against what they advertise on their site of "Just tell us what you're looking for and we'll get it for you." That line, to me, stands to reason that if they don't have it they will find it, or make it within reason, and simply threading the ends 1" or so in should be well within reason, but I digress. Just upsets me when they advertise that "we'll get it for you" and then just blow off the simple question with a general "we don't stock anything like that"

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sell/flip the original dozen wheels and tires for $50 then but the $50 wheel you need.
sorry that's all I could come up with. It is a bummer though and I don't mean to rub it in but ...there are like 5 or ten machine shops within a mile of my work here in So Cal.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I wish I could get that lucky! Lol. Everywhere I've called wanted to either charge me out the rear, or said they can't do it (really, a machine shop that can't key and thread a rod?!)

Sadly I'm right next to a craptastic town. Most businesses have left, the rest are about ready to. I'm about to start calling places in detroit lmao.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Thanks T-man, but cutting it to length I would still have to thread it, and I can already get one 18".

Thanks joe, but there is no replacing the bearings as it is a live axle rim, no bearings, and cutting a keyway is even more of a pain in the butt than threading it lol.

I have figured it out though, I'm ordering a 3/4" shaft with full keyway @ 18" length and then just going to get a 3/4" die and thread the ends.

What I was hoping for by posting was that some "old timer" in the kart world might just know some place that carries exactly what I need lol. Can't get lucky all the time though right?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I love the diy aspect to your solution. But if you have never threaded anything before you may want to find something to practice on first. I am not saying it is impossible, obviously, but it can be tricky.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Yes it can be tricky, and I understand where you're coming from as most first timers would just try to go the whole length of what they want threaded at once. Big no no lol. I've threaded and tapped many things in my shortish time on this world. Half turn, back off to clear shavings, rinse and repeat, and plenty of cutting oil, at least with the cheap die I'll be using lol.

Thanks though, I'm just hoping the 3/4" axle will hold the weight. 300-400 pounds of riders +the 120-130 pds of the kart. I shouldn't have too many problems though as most of the weight will be on the front, and the length of the back will only be 18", or 16" from hanger bearing to hanger bearing.

Just really wish I could have just bought one predone lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.