My 1st Tap & Die set

Status
Not open for further replies.

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
:wai:I just bought my 1st Tap & Die set. Sears delivered a fridge and scratched the side - so they gave me a $50 gift card. I bought this for $41.
I have been missing out...
So much potential and possibilities with future fabrication projects.

It comes with fine and course threads.

I practiced tapping my old briggs engine for when I install fuel pump. I then used a die on a 1/4" steel rod. This is awesome! Then screwed the steel rod in the block :lolgoku:

FYI: craftsman is made in China, but probably use American standards Lol
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5524[1].jpg
    IMG_5524[1].jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5525[1].jpg
    IMG_5525[1].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5526[1].jpg
    IMG_5526[1].jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 28

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
I think your tap is way way too small to tap that big 'ol crankcase breather hole......

I guess I missed something..Something catostrofic perhaps or is there a new technique I'm unfamiliar with.......;)
 

kevbo22

Member
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Thats sweet! I just bought one a couple months ago. I too have the harbor freight cheap set, but it works great for me. Plugged the governor hole with mine. I never even new about them till I started reading this forum.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
I used just the the 1/4" steel rod and the 1/4" die with some oil. No grinding. Is that bad? I did it exactly like instructions.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
I must confess....I rarely....heck...who am I kidding....never use oil....I just don't force anything and back up really frequently to clear chips.....

That bad habit came from being a commercial carpenter....tapping all those steel doors for closers and panic bars....where using oil wasn't an option....those were finished painted doors.....

So....with many years of using good taps....I can get a little more positive results with the cheapies.....

Actually....the cheapies are a little more forgiving....they don't cut as easily....but they don't break as easily either.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top