Murray Kilowatt Jackshaft Issue

Hostermania

Reaction score
Hey all. Hope everyone is staying safe out there! We have an old Murray Kilowatt and it seems a bearing has gone out on the jack shaft. I can’t find much online about this thing but I’m having issues getting what I think is the old bearing off. It’s like it’s seized on. I was hoping maybe someone on here had some knowledge on this to see if I’m on the right track here. I can’t get the jack shaft out any further to try and bang it off with and hammer from what I’ve tried so far. I’ve sprayed it with WD40 several times as well. So any thoughts? Am I on the right track here? Pics attached.

Appreciate any and all help!

Dan

Attachments

• 559B5467-9187-49C8-BC2D-E4C811A90EBD.jpg
    559B5467-9187-49C8-BC2D-E4C811A90EBD.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 96E9BBAE-9AD9-405B-87F7-2C716F6061E4.jpg
    96E9BBAE-9AD9-405B-87F7-2C716F6061E4.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 22

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried taking the jackshaft plate off and pulling the shaft out? I have a Kilowatt also but havent had a bearing go bad yet. The jackshaft bearings have a really odd O.D.

If you pull the shaft out you should then be able to knock out the bearing(s) with a long 3/8" or 1/4" extension. Let me know how it goes!

Edit: do you have a small propane torch or a good heat source? I used heat and Seafoam Deep Creep to get a siezed rim off of my old axle

ol'joe

Reaction score
Bearings stuck on shafts are often easiest to remove by breaking off the outer race and then grinding through the inner race with either an angle grinder or in worst case with a bench grinder.

Before breaking the outer race, take several wraps of a rag around it to keep pieces from flying and hurting you and be sure to wear safety glasses......Joe

Hostermania

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This might be above my pay grade with the grinding...lol.

I loosened the clutch side of the jackshaft but still couldn’t get the shaft to move any further out on the side I need it to so that I could get a better angle to try and bang it off.

Will take another look tonight.

Fletch Lives

Reaction score
Hey .. I have a kilowatt as well and I used a bearing puller to remove mine a week ago. Yours looks a little stuck for sure. I have searched the US for a week now looking for replacement bearings and had no luck so far. It's a special bearing with a C clip around the outside to keep it from shifting or moving. Murrays name was bought by Briggs and Stratton in 95 and another company bought there specs. It's been rough but do you know more or where? Thanks

mycleeds

Reaction score
Hey .. I have a kilowatt as well and I used a bearing puller to remove mine a week ago. Yours looks a little stuck for sure. I have searched the US for a week now looking for replacement bearings and had no luck so far. It's a special bearing with a C clip around the outside to keep it from shifting or moving. Murrays name was bought by Briggs and Stratton in 95 and another company bought there specs. It's been rough but do you know more or where? Thanks
I have an Explorer (GT60501X92A) that I am completely redoing. In this process, I removed the jackshaft and one of the bearing was essentially disintegrated. Now I am in the same boat as you. I am guessing the Kilowatt probably has similar sized. This is what I am getting on my digital slide caliper. ID=.75, OD=1.579, width=.5. If anyone has any ideas or a link to buy. Original Murray part# is 680161/

AmishMike

Reaction score
ID is 3/4", I would guess that OD is 1 9/16" which is 1.5625" the difference of .0165" is what makes it a press fit.

1 37/64" gets you to 1.578125"
40mm gets you 1.5748"

Fletch Lives

Reaction score
I've only found one that matches .. stock bearing #6203-2RS-NR with snap ring. I found @ USA Bearings and Belts #6203-RS-12-NR with snap ring that nails it. 6203 keeps coming up as a 17mm ID and my jackshaft is a 19.05mm or 3/4 in x 40mm OD x 12mm width bearing size but the #s are the same. Double check it! And it must have snap ring on the bearing to keep the shaft aligned from shifting so the chain and belt stay aligned. It will move with the torque, the snap rings are a must!