Murray Explorer (stuck Pulley and Jack shaft help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coverfire

Reaction score
Ok, thank all of you who helped me get this far with my stuck pulley on the Murray Explorer (model# GT6O503X92A). I apologize for posting repeatedly about the same subject but I want to get past this so I can continue on my go kart restoration adventure! At this point after trying all of your suggestions in the last thread, I think I give up. I'm at my wits end. I tried it all for those of you just tuning in . . . penetrating fluid, torching, gear pullers, candle wax, hammering the back with a hammer and pipe, and then repeating it all over and over. So, at this point I think its time to just cut and replace what I have to.This is all new to me so please hang in there with me. I'm not sure how to make the next move.

1.How exactly do I cut off the jack shaft? (I do have an angle grinder)
2.Where do I get a replacement one when I do cut it?
3.Can I replace the whole jack shaft assembly with the mounting plate so I don't have to mess around with cutting the jack shaft and getting it out of the tube?

I believe the jack shaft is 16 inches long and 3/4 inches thick and threaded on both sides. (please correct me if I'm wrong). I searched around a bit including GPS and couldn't seem to find the correct size/threaded jack shaft.

Here are some photos with descriptions below them:

https://imgur.com/gallery/UUy0d5P

Again, thank you all for the help. This community is awesome!

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Try to take that nut off. If heat doesn't work, try some CRC freeze off on the nut. The new goal should be to get the shaft out, and take it to a machine shop. They ought to have a hydraulic press strong enough to push that thing out in no time.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with J.S. on this one. If Freeze off doesnt do it AND you still cant get the jackshaft out, I would take the motor off, cut the chain and take the whole jackshaft plate to the machine shop

Clifton

Reaction score
I would try sticking an adjustable wrench on the remaining part of the pulley and then the biggest socket wrench you can find on the nut on the other side (see attached pic.) When you turn the nut counter-clockwise the adjustable wrench will wedge against the frame and hold the jackshaft from turning and you should be able to at least get the nut off that one side - if you can't, stick a pipe on the socket wrench for more leverage until something gives.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 20

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Up to this point, have you not tried an impact wrench (pneumatic or electric) on the hex nut on the right side of the jackshaft? :eek:

I agree with Clifton--I would put a large crescent wrench on the end with the flats machined into it (to stop it from turning) and use an impact hammer on the hex nut. Heck, use two crescent or box wrenches or two socket wrenches. Leverage will prevail if machine torque won't.

If/when you remove the jackshaft, take it to a machine shop and have them press the rest of the hardware off the shaft.

I wasn't sure if the pulley side was also retained with a threaded nut of sorts (the part with the flats):

Last edited:

Coverfire

Reaction score
I made some progress finally!

Ok, I finally just made some progress! Thank you all for the help! I got the nut off and removed the jack shaft. Here are some photos and some captions to explain what the current state of the project is https://imgur.com/gallery/5szQ84A
If its ok with all of you I will post updates tomorrow of how it goes at the machine shop.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Well hip hip hurrah!

Hey man, you CAN host the pics on DIYGK for all to see, and forevermore. With image hosting sites like imgur (and Photobucket heaven forbid!), the pics have a habit of going *POOF* leaving only broken image links with an 'X' or whatever. Plus clicking links is a PITA.

Just upload them as attachments. The site can handle a fairly large size too....

But that's great news...

Coverfire

Reaction score
Well hip hip hurrah!

Hey man, you CAN host the pics on DIYGK for all to see, and forevermore. With image hosting sites like imgur (and Photobucket heaven forbid!), the pics have a habit of going *POOF* leaving only broken image links with an 'X' or whatever. Plus clicking links is PITA.

Just upload them as attachments. The site can handle a fairly large size too....

But that's great news.

Thanks for the heads up. I have just used IMGUR as a default in forums because my files are always too big for most forums. So thank you for the info.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I knew that freeze off would do the trick. It's only failed me once on an old brake rotor that'd been left outside on a kart for years. It even helped get a stuck axle nut off a kart that I think was in a flood. And when you go to reassemble it, use some anti-seize or grease on the shaft. That should prevent a repeat of this. Do the same on the other side and where the bearings are. So, pretty much put a thin layer grease the whole shaft.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Coverfire, sorry to hijack your thread, but could you possibly get me a length measurement of your frame? If it's under 6' it will fit in my SUV and I'll go get my explorer today. Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
Coverfire, sorry to hijack your thread, but could you possibly get me a length measurement of your frame? If it's under 6' it will fit in my SUV and I'll go get my explorer today. Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

Both of my Explorers are just under 6ft 8in from the tip of the skid plate, to the rear bars behind the motor.

They fit in the back of my dad's '94 chevy pickup perfectly. You shut the tailgate and it slightly compresses the tires so it won't move

Smerft85

Reaction score
Both of my Explorers are just under 6ft 8in from the tip of the skid plate, to the rear bars behind the motor.

They fit in the back of my dad's '94 chevy pickup perfectly. You shut the tailgate and it slightly compresses the tires so it won't move

Thank you, about 8" too long to fit in my rodeo, and now I'm bummed. :backtotopic:

Status
Not open for further replies.