Ya, too bad this isn't a more regional forum. It would definitely be easier to have a gathering/race. I'll continue this in another thread Aiden, didn't mean to jack your thread.
If there were any chance my thread could help spark discussion about some grass roots (pardon the pun) motor sport I'd be stoked!
Exenos I've been staring at the pics you posted for hours trying to figure out what my jackshaft my look like.
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use both a torque converter and a jackshaft together to achieve that kind of ratio? Or perhaps a better question is can I gear my kart in a similar way to Exenos' with my current setup? I guess I could just look to swap front and rear sprockets to alter the ratio, but even then if I was really lucky and managed to find say 8 tooth for the front and 72 for the rear I'd still only be up at 1:9 right? And there might be ground clearance issues with a sprocket that big.
Would this ratio make a significant difference in acceleration? I'd love to hear some educated guesses. This change combined with governor removal and tighter springs for torque convertor might be all I need.
I would keep the torque converter and run it to a jack shaft because then you can have a much smaller sprocket on the axle. It looks like the only place you can put your jack shaft would be right above the rear axle.
As for the gearing, find out what the low speed ratio is with the torque converter (I believe that torque-averters are around 2.5:1) and using that along with the jack shaft and axle reduction gear it to go 15-20 km/h. in low gear on the torque converter.
Aidan, as long as you have the physical space, you can use as many jackshafts as you like, in whatever configurations you desire- with or without a CVT.