Motor mount

pearl111

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of a go kart build with this motor mount?
I just bought one, and would like to use it for my next build. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221022_055557_186.jpg
    IMG_20221022_055557_186.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That was a factory engine mount, but for what brand of kart I don’t remember. The bearing hangers are for a jackshaft.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
The bearing hangers are for a jackshaft.
Do some research!
Known as "swing mounts".
So called "bearing hangers" are NOT for a jackshaft but instead go on axle.
These mounts are made by AZUSA and were very common on old school (~'60's) gokarts.
I utilized a pair of them on my twin powered AZUSA Road Rocket frame over 8 years ago.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Do some research!
Known as "swing mounts".
So called "bearing hangers" are NOT for a jackshaft but instead go on axle.
These mounts are made by AZUSA and were very common on old school (~'60's) gokarts.
I utilized a pair of them on my twin powered AZUSA Road Rocket frame over 8 years ago.
Sounds like you need to do some research. It was either Carter or Murray I believe that used that type of mount for a jackshaft for a couple of years. It was not a real common usage and it was well before the TAV II came out. There are not many ideas in the GoKart world that are not recycled from other manufacturers. Why do you think there are so many common parts? There is no need to be a jerk about things. The application I saw it used on it was actually turned around so the driven was towards the front of the kart. And truthfully it looked like a lousy setup. Might be why it only lasted a short time.

pearl111

Reaction score
WOW, ...... I saw one once, they run the live axle through the axle hanger mounts, which lined the motor up perfectly
I kind of have an idea of how I want to set this up.
I was hoping to see some pictures of karts with this asusa swing motor mount.
l plan on using this mount with a live axle running through the bearing hangers.
Some pictures might help give me some different/better ideas.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
This one does indeed refer to a 1" live axle.........Engine Mount with Bearing Hangers| AZ8155 | BMI Karts And Parts.........
.........and this one has 1" bearings for a live axle.........Azusa Swing Mount Kit Complete Assembly | AZ1879 | AZ1879 | BMI Karts And Parts........
.........but nowhere does either one say that you can NOT put 3/4" or 5/8" flangette bearings in them for a jackshaft.
I could do anything I want with them, since like most real hotrodders I don't believe that I'm ever just stuck with having to use what manufacturers say is the only purpose of any parts in the way they say you're "supposed to". I can see me installing that mount as a full-footed, very stable, long-swivel gas pedal to please my sore knee and hip.
I have real time (close to 60 years) experience...
Clearly, you do not.
BTW, Russ, Denny has pretty much the same experience longevity as you do. I could too, if I'd played with little things like karts and tiny engines very much between being a teenager and when I retired. For myself, the volume of information I've picked up from Denny and so many other really well-experienced folks here over the last 3 years has caught me up on most anything gokart that I missed out on by working all the time with dirt bikes for fun, and big industrial/commercial locomotion stuff for a career in HVACR.
Pearl, note this about using the motor mount for indeed mounting a motor on it, and using the flangette mounts for a live axle or for a jackshaft...........If you build a rigid kart it wouldn't matter, but with rear suspension like a swingarm, you have to consider how much jouncing up and down you want your engine to do.
Using the mount for a live axle would have your engine sitting on the maximum amount of hard up/down travel there is in the rear end. Using it for a jackshaft, the further forward of the rear axle that it sits, the less wild jouncing up and down the engine will have to experience. I don't like a pogo engine at all, so I built with a rigid-mounted engine on a rack, see construction pic below.

Attachments

• 100_0171.JPG
    100_0171.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

pearl111

Reaction score
This one does indeed refer to a 1" live axle.........Engine Mount with Bearing Hangers| AZ8155 | BMI Karts And Parts.........
.........and this one has 1" bearings for a live axle.........Azusa Swing Mount Kit Complete Assembly | AZ1879 | AZ1879 | BMI Karts And Parts........
.........but nowhere does either one say that you can NOT put 3/4" or 5/8" flangette bearings in them for a jackshaft.
I could do anything I want with them, since like most real hotrodders I don't believe that I'm ever just stuck with having to use what manufacturers say is the only purpose of any parts in the way they say you're "supposed to". I can see me installing that mount as a full-footed, very stable, long-swivel gas pedal to please my sore knee and hip.

BTW, Russ, Denny has pretty much the same experience longevity as you do. I could too, if I'd played with little things like karts and tiny engines very much between being a teenager and when I retired. For myself, the volume of information I've picked up from Denny and so many other really well-experienced folks here over the last 3 years has caught me up on most anything gokart that I missed out on by working all the time with dirt bikes for fun, and big industrial/commercial locomotion stuff for a career in HVACR.
Pearl, note this about using the motor mount for indeed mounting a motor on it, and using the flangette mounts for a live axle or for a jackshaft...........If you build a rigid kart it wouldn't matter, but with rear suspension like a swingarm, you have to consider how much jouncing up and down you want your engine to do.
Using the mount for a live axle would have your engine sitting on the maximum amount of hard up/down travel there is in the rear end. Using it for a jackshaft, the further forward of the rear axle that it sits, the less wild jouncing up and down the engine will have to experience. I don't like a pogo engine at all, so I built with a rigid-mounted engine on a rack, see construction pic below.
Thanks madprofessor, I agree,..... anyway I too have ordered many parts and used them the way the I needed to suit my purpose/build and not for their intended purpose.
Thanks.

Willie1

Reaction score
Some parts HAVE been used in a certain situation.
Some parts SHOULD be used in a certain situation.
Some parts COULD be used in a certain situation.
Some parts HAVEN'T been used in a certain situation.
Some parts SHOULDN'T be used in a certain situation.
Some parts COULDN'T be used in a certain situation.
Some parts meet all or some of the top 3 criteria above.
Some parts meet all or some of the bottom 3 criteria above.

I could see the part in question (DEBATE) being used to mount an:
engine and live axle.
engine and flangette bearing for a drive wheel/hub.
engine and jackshaft.

We recognize X number of brands of karts that were popular and widely distributed.
I'm sure there were 1000's of karts made in fab shops where there were 50-100 or more
made, built on jigs to a build spec sheet, and sold locally or regionally than many of
us are familiar with, yet others have never seen. So, there's a good possibility SOMEBODY
used that part (or similar) in a mass-produced situation - either on a brand we recognize
or one we don't - and also a possibility that it was used in both a jackshaft and an axle
mount situation.

Unless you are trying to duplicate or restore a vintage project to it's former glory,
I always suggest choosing the parts that best match the CURRENT situation,
with respect to mechanical ability, budget, function, appearance and durability
among the things to consider.

pearl 111 - good luck with your project.